Posted to dev@ode.apache.org by Thilina Gunarathne <cs...@gmail.com> on 2007/11/29 01:45:04 UTC

Suggestion : Engage addressing by default

Hi devs,
I wonder why ODE does not have ws-addressing axis2 module engaged by
default.. I would also like know whether is there any particular
reasons for not engaging ws-addressing module in ODE, as I'm planning
to use ODE in production with ws-addressing module engaged...

Even Axis2 ships with addressing engaged by default... It's just a
matter of having the WEB-INF/modules/addressing.mar , adding the
needed phases to axis2.xml and engaging globally using axis2.xml..
In particularly ws-addressing support is needed if the workflow client
is doing a dual channel non-blocking invocation, which I think would
be a common scenario for a workflow engine..

Just my 0.02 $ :)...

thanks,
Thilina

--
Thilina Gunarathne  - http://thilinag.blogspot.com

Re: Suggestion : Engage addressing by default

Posted by Matthieu Riou <ma...@offthelip.org>.
On Nov 28, 2007 8:46 PM, Thilina Gunarathne <cs...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> > It's not engaged because we've had issues with it in past versions of
> Axis2
> > (1.1 IIRC). Basically it wasn't playing nice with our stateful exchange
> > headers.
> Oh... I suspected there must have been an issue... To find it out is
> one of the reasons for sending the earlier mail...
> Anyway I'm still not familiar with ODE stateful exchange mechanism.
> Have to explore more..

You could have a look at the 2 following pages, hopefully that will be
helpful.

http://ode.apache.org/implicit-correlations.html
http://ode.apache.org/stateful-exchange-protocol.html

Note that the failfast mechanism explained in the spec isn't implemented yet
and the element names are slightly different but otherwise it's pretty
accurate.

> >We haven't had time to test it again with Axis2 1.3 to make sure it
> > now works properly. So if you're willing to try it and make sure that
> there
> > are no problem when exchanging messages with those headers, you're more
> than
> > welcome.
> Simple external services invocations worked without an issue.. I would
> definitely check for our use cases... But I don't think I know ODE
> enough to ensure that it works correctly with all of ODE.. I'll give
> it a shot and let you all know..
>
> >We're doing far more than we should to include WS-Addressing
> > headers in ODE right now (see [1] and [2]).
> Looks like I did not convey my issue clearly... My use case is a
> asynchronous dual channel client (using Axis2 non-blocking client with
> a separate listener [1]) invoking a process deployed in ODE...  This
> case does not work if the service exposed by ODE does not have
> addressing engaged..
>
> Also what are the addressing versions are supported by ODE if it's
> different from Axis2 addressing...

I think I'm the one who wasn't clear :) What I meant is that we've added a
few ws-addr headers but we definitely should rely on a better implementation
like the Axis2 module as ours is very partial. We basically support the
strict minimum to make it a ws-addr message.

Cheers,
Matthieu

Posted by Thilina Gunarathne <cs...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Matthieu Riou <ma...@offthelip.org>.
On Nov 28, 2007 4:45 PM, Thilina Gunarathne <cs...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi devs,
> I wonder why ODE does not have ws-addressing axis2 module engaged by
> default.. I would also like know whether is there any particular
> reasons for not engaging ws-addressing module in ODE, as I'm planning
> to use ODE in production with ws-addressing module engaged...
>
> Even Axis2 ships with addressing engaged by default... It's just a
> matter of having the WEB-INF/modules/addressing.mar , adding the
> needed phases to axis2.xml and engaging globally using axis2.xml..
> In particularly ws-addressing support is needed if the workflow client
> is doing a dual channel non-blocking invocation, which I think would
> be a common scenario for a workflow engine..

It's not engaged because we've had issues with it in past versions of Axis2
(1.1 IIRC). Basically it wasn't playing nice with our stateful exchange
headers. We haven't had time to test it again with Axis2 1.3 to make sure it
now works properly. So if you're willing to try it and make sure that there
are no problem when exchanging messages with those headers, you're more than
welcome. We're doing far more than we should to include WS-Addressing