Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Val <vt...@realityclick.com> on 2002/10/01 20:01:30 UTC

JDBCRealm with Postgres Behaving Strangely When Accessed using IE

Hi everyone,

I've got a strange problem that may be browser related or could be due to my
development environment.  I couldn't find any reference to this problem
occurring for anyone else when I dug around the archives, but I'm hoping
that some experienced person will recognize what may be happening to I can
get past it.

I am using DW MX to create the user interface of my Web application.  Tomcat
4.1.12 is the web container and it is installed on RH Linux 7.3.  PostgreSQL
7 is the database.  I'm using JDBCRealm for security, and it is form based.
Everything seems to be working fine, except when I try to view it from my
development machine on Windows 2000 using IE 6.  In that particular
environment, if MX is open, after I've logged in and cruised around my files
that are in the "restricted" folder, I will click on a link, and the browser
closes, and I get an error saying that it can't find a temporary file on
"C:\".

I'm assuming this might be a caching problem, but why only when MX is open?
If MX is NOT open, then, every once in a while (more frequently after it
happens once), I'll get the login screen displaying, even though I have been
logged in.  This happens a lot if I hit the refresh button in my browser.
Sometimes, I'll know it is going to happen, because one of the images on the
page I've clicked through to will display as a broken image with only the
alt text displaying.  Then, I know that if I click on any other link on that
page, it will present me with the login screen.  I will then login and get
the page I was trying to click to.  This does not happen if I am viewing the
pages through NS 6.2 on the same machine.

This does not happen on any machines using IE 6, so long as it is not my
development machine outside of my internal network.  Does anyone have any
thoughts on what this could be?  Is this really a Tomcat issue, or could
this be a Macromedia issue?  Could it be a combination of MX and Tomcat?
Maybe it is a coincidence, but it just seems strange that when MX is open,
the browser crashes and the MX environment displays the error message that
it can't find a temporary file on "C:".  Frustratingly, I can't get it to
duplicate that little problem since I rebooted the Linux machine and
restarted Tomcat, so whatever it was doing before, that might actually no
longer be a problem.  Still, it should not be forcing me to relogin when
I've logged in, and why IE?  Is it the session variables?  What
configuration file, if any, can I even look in?  Everything is set up in the
server.xml and the web.xml as directed in the various documents I found on
the Net, and it works for the other person that tried it with IE from a
remote location, so it shouldn't be the config files, I think.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions,

Val