Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by ro...@rols.org on 2002/03/22 23:18:23 UTC

Tomcat 4 getRemoteUser() with custom http

Hi,

I'm porting something off of Weblogic and onto a combination of Jboss
and Tomcat.

All our http requests are intially handled by an iplanet server, which
authenticates people (in a strange and curious way). We then send http
requests to the servlet engine (which is currently weblogic) to actually
process the request.

So my webserver knows who the remote user is and just wants to bury that
information in the http headers in such a way that tomcat reads it, and
provides that information via getRemoteUser(). Tomcat doesn't need to do
any authentication itself.

For weblogic, we just have to set something like

proxy-remote-user: <username>

in the HTTP headers. I can't find any way to do this with the HTTP connector
for Tomcat however. I looked briefly at the warp connector, that seems to have
something similar ... but I really want to stick to HTTP.

Is there anything I can send in the HTTP request from the webserver to the Tomcat servlet engine which just TELLS Tomcat who the remote user is and makes it return the correct value for getRemoteUser()?

Roland