Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by Stepan Mishura <st...@gmail.com> on 2006/09/14 14:19:57 UTC

[classlib][suncompat] do we need compatibility tests?

Hi,

When we created 'suncompat' module we were not going to put any tests there
(at least we didn't talk about them). But I think it might make sense to
have compatibility tests for 'suncompat' module.

For example, if there is a bug in Base64 class. When the bug is fixed a
regression test is added to luni module only. Well, a developer may also
additionally verify that the regression tests also passes on RI by changing
the test to run it against sun.misc.Base64Encoder class.

But what if next Base64 RI's version will be incompatible with Harmony (for
example, because of another bug fix)? And how we are going to know about
that? Yes, there is a chance that an user will complain about application
incompatibility or some classlib test that depends on Base64 class will fail
on new RI's version.

But we can track that directly by having the same test against Base64 class
in 'suncompat' as we have in 'luni'. Does this make sense?

Thanks,
Stepan Mishura
Intel Middleware Products Division

Re: [classlib][suncompat] do we need compatibility tests?

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.

Stepan Mishura wrote:
> Hi,
>
> When we created 'suncompat' module we were not going to put any tests there
> (at least we didn't talk about them). But I think it might make sense to
> have compatibility tests for 'suncompat' module.

+1

Test everything, early and often.