Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Néstor Boscán <ne...@tcs.com.ve> on 2006/01/28 22:53:59 UTC

Using High Available applications with JSF

Hi

I'm very sorry to publish a JSF question in a Struts forum, but it seems
that there is a lot of users that have JSF experience.

I have a client that requires that all their applications are HA. For this I
need to deploy my web applications in multiple servers and enable web
session replication between those servers. I'm concerned that using JSF will
require a lot of session replication between the servers because all
components for all forms are stored in the web session. Has anybody done
test using session replication? Any experience with this?. What is Shale
solution for this issue?

Regards,

Néstor Boscán

Re: Using High Available applications with JSF

Posted by Craig McClanahan <cr...@apache.org>.
On 1/28/06, Néstor Boscán <ne...@tcs.com.ve> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I'm very sorry to publish a JSF question in a Struts forum, but it seems
> that there is a lot of users that have JSF experience.
>
> I have a client that requires that all their applications are HA. For this
> need to deploy my web applications in multiple servers and enable web
> session replication between those servers. I'm concerned that using JSF
> will
> require a lot of session replication between the servers because all
> components for all forms are stored in the web session. Has anybody done
> test using session replication? Any experience with this?. What is Shale
> solution for this issue?

Component state is saved in session scope only if you ask for it ... it's
also possible (with a context init parameter setting) to have the state
stored in the client instead.  That would likely be the better choice for a
scenario like this one.

Regarding other types of data, the best practices for JSF based applications
are the same as those for Struts ... only save in session scope what MUST be
saved between requests.  You'll generally want your backing beans (typically
view controllers if you are using Shale) to be request scoped, just like you
generally want Struts form beans to be request scoped.

Regards,

> Néstor Boscán

Craig