Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by Jake Jacobson <ja...@gmail.com> on 2007/01/11 19:33:26 UTC

Newbie question about JMeter

Hi,

I am trying to build a test plan to load test our search appliance.  I
have a file with search terms, 1 per line that I want to submit
against the application.  I want to go through the list once and when
I reach the end of file, the test would end.  I am having 2 issues
that I need help with.

1.  My test runs forever without advancing through the list.  I keep
submitting the first term from the list.

2.  It seems that each HTTP Request is sending 3 requests and I would
only expect to see 1.

I have configured the following items.

Main Thread Group
  Number of Threads -> 1
  Ramp-Up Period -> 0
  Loop Count -> 0

HTTP Request Defaults
  Server name -> Url for my search appliance
  Path -> /search
  Send Parameters with the Request:
    output -> xml
    client -> mysite
    site -> mysite

CSV Data Set Config
  Filename -> searchTerms.txt
  Variable Names -> QUERY
  Delimiter -> \n
  Recycle on EOF -> False

While Controller
  Condition ${QUERY} != "<EOF>"

Then inside the while controller I have and HTTP Request
  Method -> Post
  Send Parameters with the Request:
    q -> ${QUERY}

I have then added the "View Results Tree" and I see that for each
"HTTP Request" it appears to be hitting the server 3 times.
  1.  To the search page with the correct parameters.  This is done as
a Post and it is the one I want.
  2.  To http://mysearch.com:80/  I don't know why.  This is done as a GET
http://mysearch.com:80/search?output=defaultValue&client=defaultValue&site=defaultValue
Again, This is done as a GET and I don't understand why?

Thanks for your help.

Re: Newbie question about JMeter

Posted by git <gi...@cubicalland.com>.
Dood,

Can you send an example of what you are doing now and then I'd be happy
to try and figure out what is going wrong for you.

Cheers

AJ

www.cubicalland.com
www.nerds-central.blogspot.com

Re: Newbie question about JMeter

Posted by Alexander Wallace <aw...@rwmotloc.com>.
rather than telling you what's wrong, i'll tell you what I would
do... To try to identify where the issue is i would simplify stuff...
For instance, it looks like your problem is with the while
condition... change the condition to be "false" and see if you run
any samples (you should not) ... If you do, then you know your issue
is another thing and you can leave the condition alone .... If your
condition is the problem, try to see what is returning (put it on the
label of one of your elements for example) ... tweak it until you get
it right...

hope this helps

Posted by Jake Jacobson <ja...@gmail.com>.
Thanks,  It is working now.

One quick question.  Why does the CSV Data Set Config have to be
inside the while controller?  I had it inside my main thread but
discovered that I would only get the first value in the file.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jake Jacobson <ja...@gmail.com>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
See:

Posted by Jake Jacobson <ja...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jake Jacobson <ja...@gmail.com>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 11/01/07, Jake Jacobson <ja...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to build a test plan to load test our search appliance.  I
> have a file with search terms, 1 per line that I want to submit
> against the application.  I want to go through the list once and when
> I reach the end of file, the test would end.  I am having 2 issues
> that I need help with.
>
> 1.  My test runs forever without advancing through the list.  I keep
> submitting the first term from the list.
>
> 2.  It seems that each HTTP Request is sending 3 requests and I would
> only expect to see 1.
>
> I have configured the following items.
>
> Main Thread Group
>  Number of Threads -> 1