Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by "Musayev, Ilya" <im...@webmd.net> on 2013/02/07 23:47:00 UTC

ACS - Better Marketing - YOUR HELP IS NEEDED

To be completely honest, CloudStack is an awesome product, with one major flow - it's a "best kept secret" not too many know about. The last thing we want to see is for CS to become like BSD (awesome and stable) but barely used.

I'm not  Citrix employee, I will speak freely - so pardon my honesty.

We lose the market to a peer pressure phenomenon known as OpenStack, I'm not saying OS is bad by any means, but realistically, many companies go for OS - because thats what everyone talks about, they don't use the approach of what is right for my environment, instead they go for the buzzword. Not many can actually get OS to work - in true open source way - and end up paying for various companies to make it work for them and maintain as well. We need to get the word out there for CS - we can do better.

For the most part, (my strong opinion based on where I worked in past) I can say that in most use cases for small, mid and large size companies, CS is a better fit.

Bad marketing, works against everyone's interest. Anything from future job opportunity - to actually working with a product that is simply great, stable and feature rich.

Here is how I propose we fix this:

For each of the bullet points below - we assign leads that work with contributors.

1)      Create an ACS social media marketing team - We NEED social media attention

a.       Gather list of ideas

b.      Meet regularly on IRC to follow up on progress and discuss what can be done better

c.       Pick the best voted ideas

d.      Assign the duties and roles

e.      Conquer - one at a time

f.        Create Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter and YouTube Channels or use existing means and other social media

g.       Blog with SEO in mind

2)      Show the world how you can get ACS to work in your environment on youtube and other video sites

a.       Create a set of step by step tutorial (video preferred)

                                                               i.      Basic ACS POC setup

                                                             ii.      Setting up ACS  in corporate environment with strict compliance

                                                            iii.      Hosting environment

                                                           iv.      Development Environment - educate new developers on how to troubleshoot issues and how to address them - actual basic examples would be really good on how bug X was fixed

b.      Take it a step further and show how you can bolt on CS with other offerings - again video preferred but text will do

                                                               i.      Show how to bolt on OpenSwift for block storage, OpenShift (linux PaaS) and IronFoundry (windows PaaS),  Chef and SpaceWalk and others

3)      Create support groups based on area of expertise, for example I can help with VmWare and CS setups, but I'm not good with XEN or KVM at the moment

a.       We need support groups for different hypervisors, storage and networks that can help newcomers

b.      Each issue resolved must be documented preferable on wiki  - any  documentation (including copy and paste from mailing list) is better than none

4)      Host local user group meetups

a.       Show CS and help others

5)      Reach out to other open source (and not) players and work with them to have easy integration and cross functionality

a.       RedHat with OpenShift PaaS

b.      IronFondry

c.       Cisco, Microsoft, VMWare, etc...

d.      Become part of major distributions

e.      Others will join as soon as they see the momentum

*         Next Steps to make this happen:

o   Gather list of people willing to contribute their time with skills and desired areas of involvement, even if you are a new comer or don't have enough experience with CS, we can use your help!

o   Set the time for regular IRC meeting

o   Help lead this effort as well as participate

Together we can make ACS better for everyone and we can beat the buzzword players - because we are truly better.

Your input is welcome, if you want to reach out to me off the list, please feel free, I'm on irc.freenode.net nick "serverchief", or email me directly.

Thanks
ilya

Re: ACS - Better Marketing - YOUR HELP IS NEEDED

Posted by "Musayev, Ilya" <im...@webmd.net>.
I think we need to revisit the layout of cwiki ...
Nux! <nu...@li.nux.ro> wrote:
On 12.02.2013 12:18, David Nalley wrote:
> I had the same problem, but found it here:
>
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=30744222

Right, cheers for that. I guess pages like that needs to be more easy
to find, otherwise they as good as nonexisting.

Nux!
www.nux.ro

Re: ACS - Better Marketing - YOUR HELP IS NEEDED

Posted by Nux! <nu...@li.nux.ro>.

Posted by David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>.

Posted by Nux! <nu...@li.nux.ro>.

Posted by "Musayev, Ilya" <im...@webmd.net>.
I'm aiming for making 1 CS video per week and writing as well.

Posted by "Musayev, Ilya" <im...@webmd.net>.

Posted by Sebastien Goasguen <ru...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sebastien Goasguen <ru...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sebastien Goasguen <ru...@gmail.com>.

RE: Marketing Wiki Page (was Re: ACS - Better Marketing - YOUR HELP IS NEEDED)

Posted by Alex Huang <Al...@citrix.com>.
+1 good idea

Posted by Joe Brockmeier <jz...@zonker.net>.
Hey all,

A couple of things on this:

- I've moved up the marketing page in the wiki so it's now a top-level
page:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/Marketing

It'd be good to capture things that are works-in-progress there so
anyone can easily find them.

The cloudstack-marketing list is now live. To subscribe send an email
to:

cloudstack-marketing-subscribe@incubator.apache.org

I will also send an email to -dev and -users for folks who might not be
following this thread.

More in-line:

On Thu, Feb 7, 2013, at 04:47 PM, Musayev, Ilya wrote:
> To be completely honest, CloudStack is an awesome product, with one major
> flow - it's a "best kept secret" not too many know about. The last thing
> we want to see is for CS to become like BSD (awesome and stable) but
> barely used.

CloudStack isn't like BSD, though: It is used in production quite a bit,
though folks don't speak about it as much as we'ld like.

> We lose the market to a peer pressure phenomenon known as OpenStack, I'm
> not saying OS is bad by any means, but realistically, many companies go
> for OS - because thats what everyone talks about, they don't use the
> approach of what is right for my environment, instead they go for the
> buzzword. Not many can actually get OS to work - in true open source way
> - and end up paying for various companies to make it work for them and
> maintain as well. We need to get the word out there for CS - we can do
> better.

Let's focus on promoting CloudStack rather than worrying about how much
love other projects get.

> b.      Meet regularly on IRC to follow up on progress and discuss what
> can be done better

Sure - when do you propose?

Posted by Sebastien Goasguen <ru...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Tariq Iqbal <ta...@shapeblue.com>.
Great initiative, and I am happy to join in and help.
Let us know when the first meeting will be.

Regards,

Tariq Iqbal

S: +44 20 3603 0540 | M: +447909911600

tariq.iqbal@shapeblue.com

> [...]
>
> a.       RedHat with OpenShift PaaS
>
> b.      IronFondry
>
> c.       Cisco, Microsoft, VMWare, etc...
>
> d.      Become part of major distributions
>
> e.      Others will join as soon as they see the momentum
>

> *         Next Steps to make this happen:
>
> o   Gather list of people willing to contribute their time with skills and desired areas of involvement, even if you are a new comer or don't have enough experience with CS, we can use your help!
>
> o   Set the time for regular IRC meeting
>
> o   Help lead this effort as well as participate
>

> Together we can make ACS better for everyone and we can beat the buzzword players - because we are truly better.
>
> Your input is welcome, if you want to reach out to me off the list, please feel free, I'm on irc.freenode.net nick "serverchief", or email me directly.

This is indeed great initiative, and I am happy to join in and help.
Let us know when the first meeting will be and lets start tackling some of this stuff.

--David

ShapeBlue provides a range of strategic and technical consulting and implementation services to help IT Service Providers and Enterprises to build a true IaaS compute cloud. ShapeBlue’s expertise, combined with CloudStack technology, allows IT Service Providers and Enterprises to deliver true, utility based, IaaS to the customer or end-user.

________________________________

This email and any attachments to it may be confidential and are intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed. Any views or opinions expressed are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Shape Blue Ltd. If you are not the intended recipient of this email, you must neither take any action based upon its contents, nor copy or show it to anyone. Please contact the sender if you believe you have received this email in error. Shape Blue Ltd is a company incorporated in England & Wales.

RE: ACS - Better Marketing - YOUR HELP IS NEEDED

Posted by David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>.

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com>.
On Thu, Feb 07, 2013 at 10:47:00PM +0000, Musayev, Ilya wrote:
> o   Gather list of people willing to contribute their time with skills and desired areas of involvement, even if you are a new comer or don't have enough experience with CS, we can use your help!

Great ideas Ilya, and great initiative!

I'd be happy to participate and help.  I'll leave plenty of room for others to
take the lead on these initiatives, but I'm more than willing to help
where I can.

RE: ACS - Better Marketing - YOUR HELP IS NEEDED

Posted by "Musayev, Ilya" <im...@webmd.net>.
Sonny,

I agree with you, the CS design is very good and keeping it in line with incubating site - would be even better.

Thanks for the awesome work, can't wait to see it.
Ilya

I'm playing around with redesigning the current incubation site for people who are onboarding or want to learn about CloudStack for the first time. I'll send out a design proposal and plan on discussing this with Joe, Mark, David  as to how we can get this off the ground. CloudStack has a pretty good ui design and we might as well try to extend this sense of design to all other aspects of CloudStack(from marketing, social, documentation, etc...)

Sonny H. Chhen
Manager of User Interface & User Experience | Citrix Systems - CloudPlatform
4988 Great America Parkway, Santa Clara, CA  95054, USA

Posted by "Musayev, Ilya" <im...@webmd.net>.
Sonny,

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com>.

Posted by David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>.