Posted to soap-dev@xml.apache.org by James M Snell <ja...@us.ibm.com> on 2002/01/26 23:19:34 UTC

Re: Book: Programming Web Service with SOAP and bug in Apache 2.2

When I first came across this problem, there was some discussion as to
whether or not it really was a bug in Apache SOAP as it actually has to do
with a problem in the way the XML Security Suite creates the DOM objects
serialized by Apache SOAP (it improperly "declares" namespaces using
setAttribute(...) rather than setAttributeNS(...) ...).  I maintain that
it is something that should be addressed in the SOAP code but some of the
other committers disagreed so I never committed the change.  In fact, it
is likely they will respond to this note indicating that they don't think
it is a bug and that I probably shouldn't have called it that in the book
;-)  Ah well.  The point is, Apache SOAP takes in an invalid DOM object
from the XML Security suite and kicks out an invalid XML serialization.
The (we'll call it a "work around") I provide in the book modifies the
Apache SOAP code to produce a proper XML serialization of the DOM.

No need to post the code, I've already got a copy of it ;-) .... if the
others happen to come around to my way of thinking I'll commit the change.

Once you're finished with the book, please drop me a note privately and
let me know what you think of it.

- James M Snell/Fresno/IBM
    Web services architecture and strategy
    Internet Emerging Technologies, IBM
    544.9035 TIE line
    559.587.1233 Office
    919.486.0077 Voice Mail
    jasnell@us.ibm.com
 Programming Web Services With SOAP, O'reilly & Associates, ISBN
0596000952

==
Have I not commanded you?  Be strong and courageous.  Do not be terrified,

do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you
go.
- Joshua 1:9

To:     <so...@xml.apache.org>, <so...@xml.apache.org>,
<ax...@xml.apache.org>, <ax...@xml.apache.org>
cc:
Subject:        Book: Programming Web Service with SOAP and bug in Apache 2.2

Hi.I just joined the group(s).

I just received thenewly publishedO'Reilly bookProgramming Web Service
with SOAP by Snell, Tidwell and Kulchenko.

On page 120 they document a bug in Apache SOAP 2.2 that causes invalid XML
to be produced in some situations (in
org.apache.soap.util.xml.DOM2Writer.java) along with a fix. I searched the
CVS and didn't see any recent change to the file (http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/xml-soap/java/src/org/apache/soap/util/xml/DOM2Writer.java).There was no mention of this in the archives either.

Is this bug well known? Hasit been applied to Axis?Are
thereanyseverebugsthat I might want to build from source vs. using Apache
2.2 milestone?

I can postthesuggested source change fromthebook if any contributor is
interested to evaluate and apply to source.

Re: Book: Programming Web Service with SOAP and bug in Apache 2.2

Posted by Sanjiva Weerawarana <sa...@watson.ibm.com>.
Hi James,

You should also point out that the authors of the XML Security Suite
agreed it was a bug in their code and fixed it.

I refuse to accept work-arounds for other software bugs as bug fixes.
I know you (and I'm sure there are others) disagree. However, as you
recall correctly, many of the committers disagreed with applying this
"fix".

Yes, I will point out that you shouldn't have called it a bug!! ;-)

Sanjiva.