Posted to marketing@openoffice.apache.org by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> on 2012/03/13 21:19:12 UTC

Please review: AOO Current Status FAQ's

You may want to look at the following FAQ's, newly started, and add
your contributions:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/Current+Status+FAQ

Any other questions we should cover?  Any better way of phrasing the
questions (or the answers)?

Anyone can edit the wiki.  Just sign up for an account.

Regards,

-Rob

Re: Open Office promotion event

Posted by Liu Da Li <wa...@gmail.com>.
Hi Drew,
Can you share your slides which you will used in the promotion event, I
think that your slides will be a good reference for us.

在 2012年3月29日 上午10:44,drew <dr...@baseanswers.com>写道:

Posted by Jacques Pavlenyi <jp...@us.ibm.com>.
Drew and Vadim:

Just some ideas I've used in seminars I have organized in the past:

1) If it's an afternoon session, people often get sleepy after lunch. I
put a Red Bull or other caffeinated drink in every chair when the
participants returned from lunch, to keep the energy high during the
session.

2) I've often had users present their own stories, unfiltered, on the use
of my specific products. In this case, talk to local OpenOffice users
before the event, collect some really great stories that highlight not
just technology value but business and productivity value. Look for
stories, and story tellers, who can turn using OpenOffice into not just a
logical choice but a passionate one. Then give one 15 minutes of your
session, or if you have several hours, add in two or more spaced
throughout the event. If they can't attend the event in person, record
their story with a videocam or your smartphone, and show the video at the
event.

3) Demonstrations. But not just "show and tell", but more like "Day in the
Life". Show how OpenOffice can be actually used in the average day of a
specific user's life: a university student preparing for her final
dissertation; an administrative assistant cleaning up a presentation for
his boss; a manager preparing a spreadsheet of tasks and workflow diagram
of projects for her new team; etc.

4) Instead of a CD, just package and create thumb-drives or USB sticks
preloaded with the install stack, templates, videos, and more.

Just some ideas, I hope this helps.

- Jacques

drew <dr...@baseanswers.com> wrote on 03/28/2012 07:44:54 PM:

> [...]

> An AOO CD to hand out - currently there is not a resource for that which
> I could point you to. It is, in my estimation, unlikely that the project
> will continue to produce .iso images as was done in the past - of course
> if someone would volunteer to work on such a project the chances would
> go up enormously..hint hint.
>
> Standard materials for hand out - again currently there are none. There
> is a list of items under construction on the community wiki and again
> looking for volunteers to pick items and work on them. But even if you
> just work on some for yourself I would urge you to then donate what you
> create to the project and others could translate from Russian into their
> own languages.. and everyone benefits.
>
> I think that's it for this email - again I think it is great that you
> want to promote in your area and hope to hear back from you..pre and

Regards,

Jacques Pavlenyi
Market Segment Manager
IBM Collaboration Solutions

Phone: 1-720-663-2067
E-mail: jpavlenyi@us.ibm.com
Social Business Insights Blog: ibm.co/wKv1lJ
Chat: jpavlenyi@us.ibm.com
Find me on:     and within IBM on:
"“Don't worry about people stealing your ideas. If your ideas are any
good, you'll have to ram them down people's throats.”" - Howard Aiken

4660 La Jolla Village Drive
San Diego, CA 92122-4601
United States

Re: Open Office promotion event

Posted by drew <dr...@baseanswers.com>.

Re: Please review: AOO Current Status FAQ's

Posted by Donald Harbison <dp...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 4:19 PM, Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> wrote:

> You may want to look at the following FAQ's, newly started, and add
> your contributions:
>
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/Current+Status+FAQ
>
> Any other questions we should cover?  Any better way of phrasing the
> questions (or the answers)?

I made some minor edits. Good to see we don't proclaim 'IP clearance' as a
major feature as this is of no direct end user benefit. Instead we may want
to add a Question on what the value is in terms of how the source code may
be used within the scope of the AL2 license.....an answer written more for
developers and software business professionals.

Posted by Shenfeng Liu <li...@gmail.com>.
I wonder if we should prepare some FAQ for people who developed their
applications based on previous OpenOffice.org? They will want to know how
can their application be upgraded to AOO and get continuous support...

Posted by Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Terry <te...@yahoo.com.au>.
It seems to me that the label 'faqs' is misleading.  'faqs' refer usually to anticipated questions (not usually frequently asked) about the tin tacks of software.  That page is really a "current status" page.

Posted by Simon Phipps <si...@webmink.com>.

Posted by Terry <te...@yahoo.com.au>.