Posted to dev@trafficserver.apache.org by "Alan M. Carroll" <am...@network-geographics.com> on 2018/01/11 17:26:26 UTC

Removing cluster support for 7.1.x

Oath has developed an internal patch for our 7.1.x fork which removes cluster support. This is effectively a back port of changes that are already on master. The question is whether it would be OK to submit as a backport to 7.1.3. It's fairly large but it should make backporting from master to 7.1.x easier. I chatted with Leif as the RM for 7.1.x and he had no objection but wanted to leave it up to the community. I'm +1 on this. As far as I know, clustering is already official disabled for 7.1.x and so this doesn't represent a functionality or API change.

Re: Removing cluster support for 7.1.x

Posted by Walt Karas <wk...@oath.com.INVALID>.
I tried cherry-picking this from Apache master to Oath 7.1.x, but
there were too many conflicts.  Perhaps it would work to cherry-pick
form Oath 7.1.x to Apache 7.1.x .  It also seems to me like an issue
with semantic labeling to put it in 7.1.x not 7.2 .

Walt

Posted by Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org>.

Posted by Phil Sorber <so...@apache.org>.
We haven't made changes that enable clustering, but I believe this is a
large change and seems like a bad idea in a minor release. If I were the RM
I'd -1 it, but since I am not, I'll just express my concern.

Thanks.

Posted by Bryan Call <bc...@apache.org>.
I am +1 on removing the code.

Posted by "Steven R. Feltner" <sf...@godaddy.com>.
I am +1 on this.  Clustering hasn’t worked in quite a few releases.  This would be removing the unnecessary cruft that was clustering.

Thanks,
Steven