Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Sanjeev Neelarapu <sa...@citrix.com> on 2012/10/11 07:12:40 UTC

F5 & SRX in in-line mode PRD review

Hi Sheng,

Following are the review comments on F5&SRX in in-line mode PRD:

1.      Apart from providing security to load balancing traffic are there any other benefits of deploying F5&SRX in in-line mode?

2.      In this scenario SRX is the single point of contact for the entire zone. How are we going to provide the redundancy (to avoid single point of failure condition) ?

3.      Is there any limit on the no.of IP addresses that can be acquired and configured for load balancing on SRX?

4.      Are we going to use SRX with JUNOS 10.4R1 or above for this feature support?

5.      What level of security are we providing to the load balancing traffic? CIDR& Port Range based filtering or do we support application level filtering(content inspection) as well?

Thanks,
Sanjeev

Re: F5 & SRX in in-line mode PRD review

Posted by Sheng Yang <sh...@yasker.org>.
On Fri, Oct 12, 2012 at 11:36 AM, Chiradeep Vittal
<Ch...@citrix.com> wrote:

>>> 4. Since both SRX and F5 are being programmed when creating a LB rule ,
>>>if either one of them is down/unreachable , we should expect the LB rule
>>>creation to error out . In such cases , will we be providing an error
>>>message to the user and he should be able to recreate the same LB rules
>>>when SRX and LB are reachable?
>>
>>I suppose user would retry it later... Or complain to admin who would
>>know that one device is down.
>
> Looking for a more complete answer here: is it going to be atomic across
> both devices or not?

It would be atomic operation on both devices.

--Sheng

Re: F5 & SRX in in-line mode PRD review

Posted by Chiradeep Vittal <Ch...@citrix.com>.

Posted by Sheng Yang <sh...@yasker.org>.
Hi Sangeetha,

On Thu, Oct 11, 2012 at 6:54 PM, Sangeetha Hariharan
<Sa...@citrix.com> wrote:
> Hi Sheng,
>
> I have the following questions after reviewing the FS:
>
> 1. FS states that VPN services will not be supported in the SRX-F5 inline mode. Is this correct?

No, I've updated it I think.

> 2. Will there be support for conserve mode ="ON" , where the same public ip address can service both  Lb rules and PF rules ?

No. Since LB on F5 would include one rule implicit to create static
nat from SRX to F5, and we cannot enable static nat and PF rule at the
same time.

> 3. When  Lb rule is created , in which DB table can we see the information of the guest Ip address that gets assigned for corresponding Static NAT purposes?

It would only show as LB rule. Static nat rule is generated by system
implicitly.

Posted by Sheng Yang <sh...@yasker.org>.
Hi Sanjeev,