Posted to user@hbase.apache.org by James Taylor <jt...@salesforce.com> on 2013/01/30 22:04:37 UTC

Announcing Phoenix: A SQL layer over HBase

We are pleased to announce the immediate availability of a new open
source project, Phoenix, a SQL layer over HBase that powers the HBase
use cases at Salesforce.com. We put the SQL back in the NoSQL:

  * Available on GitHub at https://github.com/forcedotcom/phoenix
  * Embedded JDBC driver implements the majority of java.sql interfaces,
    including the metadata APIs.
  * Built for low latency queries through parallelization, the use of
    native HBase APIs, coprocessors, and custom filters.
  * Allows columns to be modelled as a multi-part row key or key/value
    cells.
  * Full query support with predicate push down and optimal scan key
    formation.
  * DDL support: CREATE TABLE, DROP TABLE, and ALTER TABLE for
    adding/removing columns.
  * Versioned schema repository. Snapshot queries use the schema that
    was in place when data was written.
  * DML support: UPSERT VALUES for row-by-row insertion, UPSERT SELECT
    for mass data transfer between the same or different tables, and
    DELETE for deleting rows.
  * Limited transaction support through client-side batching.
  * Single table only - no joins yet and secondary indexes are a work in
    progress.
  * Follows ANSI SQL standards whenever possible
  * Requires HBase v 0.94.2 or above
  * BSD-like license
  * 100% Java

Join our user groups:
     Phoenix HBase User:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/phoenix-hbase-user
     Phoenix HBase Dev:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/phoenix-hbase-dev
and check out our roadmap:
https://github.com/forcedotcom/phoenix/wiki#wiki-roadmap

We welcome feedback and contributions from the community to Phoenix and
look forward to working together.

Regards,

James Taylor
@JamesPlusPlus

Re: Announcing Phoenix: A SQL layer over HBase

Posted by Gary Helmling <gh...@gmail.com>.
Great stuff!  I've been waiting for this.  Congrats on open sourcing and
thanks for sharing!

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.
Congrats lads!
St.Ack

Posted by James Taylor <jt...@salesforce.com>.
Thanks, everyone, and sorry to keep you waiting :-)

We're using Phoenix in lots of different use cases and product areas at
Salesforce:
Product Metrics
Data Archival
Server Metrics and Monitoring
Trending over time-series data
Reporting

I'll go into more detail on a future post at my blog:
http://phoenix-hbase.blogspot.com. Was thinking to start with the topic
of "Performance Tuning of Phoenix (i.e. what are all the knobs and
dials)", then "How to add your own built-in function". I folks have
other topics of interest drop me a line over there.

Regards,

     James

Posted by Viral Bajaria <vi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Huanyou Chang <ma...@mapbased.com>.

Posted by Devaraj Das <dd...@hortonworks.com>.

Posted by Enis Söztutar <en...@gmail.com>.
Cool. Will play a bit later on. Was waiting for it to appear.

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.
Wow.

Thanks so much for open sourcing this.

--
Best regards,

   - Andy

(via Tom White)

Re: Announcing Phoenix: A SQL layer over HBase

Posted by Enis Söztutar <en...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Devaraj Das <dd...@hortonworks.com>.