Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de> on 2019/01/09 14:53:01 UTC

Using GPLv3 in the build?

Hi all,

I just double checked the text on the GPLv3 compatibility.
Stupid thing is the problem I’m having isn’t really covered by that [1].

The case I’m currently having is that there is a toolset called Kaitai [2], which sounds interesting for the Apache PLC4X project.
In general you define a data-format and have it generate model, serializer and parser in multiple languages (Similar to Thrift or Protobuf, but with a focus on the transport data-format and not the model).

This consists of a compiler and a runtime.

The compiler generates code from sources which use the runtime libraries.
The runtime libraries are Apache 2.0 and MIT licensed, so this would be ok
The compiler however is GPLv3 …

Now we would not be bunding the compiler and the users wouldn’t need to use it when using PLC4X as it’s only needed in the code-generation phase of the build.

So before I throw the idea over board, I just wanted to double-check this special case.

Chris

[1] https://www.apache.org/licenses/GPL-compatibility.html
[2] https://kaitai.io/

Re: Using GPLv3 in the build?

Posted by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de>.
Unfortunately the till in question turned out to support serialisation only theoretically, only in Java and that only POC quality ... Will stick with helping that Daffodil pulling write a code generator.

But good to know the "GPL in the build" thing :-)

Chris

Outlook for Android<https://aka.ms/ghei36> herunterladen

________________________________
Posted by Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>.