Posted to dev@deltaspike.apache.org by Rafael Benevides <rb...@redhat.com> on 2015/08/21 17:08:55 UTC

Bean Validation Modules vs Java EE version

Hi all,

Yesterday Gerhard asked me to take a look at the following issue:
https://github.com/jpangamarca/bean-validation-shutdown-issue

After some investigation I found that ConstraintValidatorFactory included a
new method in Java EE 7 (#releaseInstance
<https://docs.oracle.com/javaee/7/api/javax/validation/ConstraintValidatorFactory.html#releaseInstance-javax.validation.ConstraintValidator->
)

- ConstraintValidatorFactory (Java EE 6):
http://docs.oracle.com/javaee/6/api/javax/validation/ConstraintValidatorFactory.html
- ConstraintValidatorFactory (Java EE 7):
https://docs.oracle.com/javaee/7/api/javax/validation/ConstraintValidatorFactory.html

This email is to discuss the expected approach for this issue:

1) Create a new artifact for Java EE
7: deltaspike-bean-validation-module-impl-ee7

2) Upgrade the current supported version to BV 1.1 (Java EE 7)

3) Others.

So What are your thoughts about this issue and what's the approach that
DeltaSpike is using to leave with changes from  EE6 to EE7?

Thanks

--
*Rafael Benevides | Senior Software Engineer*
JBoss Developer Materials lead

See how it works at www.redhat.com

Re: Bean Validation Modules vs Java EE version

Posted by Rafael Benevides <rb...@redhat.com>.
Thinking more about it, makes sense for me. I'll open a ticket and propose
a fix.

See how it works at www.redhat.com

Re: Bean Validation Modules vs Java EE version

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.

> In a case like this, we can add a method releaseInstance to the bval module
> to match what's in the spec.  It couldn't have @Override since it wouldn't
> match for bean validation 1.0.

Not sure it is important at runtime - actually shouldnt if we use bval 1.1
API and bval 1.0 should be tolerated

> Realistically if you're targeting an EE7/ bean val 1.1 this module makes no
> sense and you're actually being detrimental to how the runtime is meant to
> work.

yes excepted you can deploy on a EE7 server without targetting it so should
be handled IMO

> Personally, I've been using hibernate validator cdi module to solve this in
> an SE app.I'm not sure if apache bval is using a standalone CDI module or
> expecting the app servers to implement it.

bval is using more or less BeanProvider logic

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.

Posted by Gerhard Petracek <ge...@gmail.com>.
@thomas:

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Thomas Andraschko <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Gerhard Petracek <ge...@gmail.com>.
@ee6 only: that's correct

Posted by Rafael Benevides <rb...@redhat.com>.
Yeap.

See how it works at www.redhat.com

Re: Bean Validation Modules vs Java EE version

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.
Rafael,