Posted to dev@libcloud.apache.org by Tomaz Muraus <to...@apache.org> on 2013/03/01 23:51:21 UTC

[dev] Libcloud and Python 2.5 [post here if you use Libcloud with Python 2.5]

Dear Libcloud users,

If you are using Libcloud with Python 2.5 please let us know either by
posting a "+1" in this thread or if you don't feel comfortable sharing this
information with other people by sending an email to
private@libcloud.apache.org.

Supporting Python 2.5 in Libcloud means we need to have a bunch of extra
code in core which makes maintaince, testing and everything else harder. We
could use resources which are currently needed for keeping working Python
2.5 support better in other places.

I need this information because I'm working on a proposal for removing
Python 2.5 support from Libcloud. Before proceeding and sending out the
proposal I want to collect some actual data - how many people use recent
Libcloud versions with 2.5 and how many people would be affected.

Thanks,
Tomaz

Re: Libcloud and Python 2.5 [post here if you use Libcloud with Python 2.5]

Posted by Tomaz Muraus <to...@apache.org>.
I'm digging this thread up because I just saw this tweet[1] with some real
data[2].

These statistics are for all the packages and only for a four day period so
it's hard to infer anything conclusive, but it does seem that removing
Python 2.5 starting with the 1.0.0 release is more than reasonable.

[1]: https://twitter.com/dstufft/status/389117973233152000
[2]: https://gist.github.com/dstufft/6954117

[dev] Re: Libcloud and Python 2.5 [post here if you use Libcloud with Python 2.5]

Posted by Tomaz Muraus <to...@apache.org>.