Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Clemens Schwaighofer <cs...@tequila.co.jp> on 2004/12/08 05:06:32 UTC

avoid overwriting new files in the Repository during commit

Re: avoid overwriting new files in the Repository during commit

Posted by Clemens Schwaighofer <cs...@tequila.co.jp>.

Re: avoid overwriting new files in the Repository during commit

Posted by kf...@collab.net.
Clemens Schwaighofer <cs...@tequila.co.jp> writes:
> I have just a small question.
>
> I have User A who works on file.pl and User B who does the same. User A
> changes something and commits, User B does the same right afterwards,
> without updateing his local copy.
>
> Subversion says nothing and just overwrites the file on the server. Is
> there no way to at least spit out a warning, that you are about to
> overwrite a new file on the server? Or is this impossible because my
> local copy doesn't know that, because I have not updated it ?

If Subversion is really doing tihs, it's a bug, because it should not
allow B to commit from an out-of-date file.  Subversion has enforced
the up-to-date requirement since Day One, though, and I highly doubt
such a major bug is present.

Can you show us a transcript of what you do?

Re: avoid overwriting new files in the Repository during commit

Posted by Clemens Schwaighofer <cs...@tequila.co.jp>.

Re: avoid overwriting new files in the Repository during commit

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.
On Dec 7, 2004, at 11:06 PM, Clemens Schwaighofer wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have just a small question.
>
> I have User A who works on file.pl and User B who does the same. User A
> changes something and commits, User B does the same right afterwards,
> without updateing his local copy.
>
> Subversion says nothing and just overwrites the file on the server.

That's not true at all!  If so, it would completely violate the entire
concurrent "copy, modify, merge" model used by both CVS and Subversion.

What happens is:  User B tries to commit, and gets an error message
saying that the commit failed because his copy of file.pl is "out of
date".  User B is then forced to update and merge changes before
retrying the commit.

What makes you think otherwise?