Posted to dev@pulsar.apache.org by Yu <li...@apache.org> on 2021/12/13 08:18:40 UTC

PIP 112: Generate Release Notes Automatically

Hi Pulsarers,

As we know[1], there are some issues in the current Pulsar release notes
(RN), for example:

- For Pulsar users
They cannot capture the highlights quickly since the RN is a raw dump of
PRs.

- For Pulsar release managers (RM)
They feel overwhelmed by the **manual** workload of generating RN since it
is created based on git commit messages, while many people do not provide
clear and meaningful info.
It’s time-consuming to clear up all info especially for a major release
with lots of PRs.

If RN is regarded as an afterthought and finished as a last-minute task, it
is likely not written well.
Instead of rushing, treating RN as a part of development not only reduces
RM's workload and makes communication more coordinated,
but also allows more time for us to choose the most valuable highlights
shown to users.
Consequently, the process of the current workflow should be improved.

Therefore, I propose the PIP 112: Generate Release Notes Automatically [2]
and add some initial thoughts and research there.
It is only a draft but I would like to invite you to join us to bring
another major change to Pulsar. I believe this would bring many benefits to
all of us, thanks!

[1] https://lists.apache.org/thread/dl3jb9p3zvlc6ntlkpmxf1m8dw5dcd8z
[2]
https://github.com/apache/pulsar/wiki/PIP-112%3A-Generate-Release-Notes-Automatically

Re: PIP 112: Generate Release Notes Automatically

Posted by Leo <ur...@gmail.com>.
+1

Good idea, I think I can be part of this PIP after I finished upgrading pulsar website.

Thanks,
Leo

Posted by Enrico Olivelli <eo...@gmail.com>.
Yu,
thanks a great initiative and I support it at 100%

It looks like you are on your way.
Looking forward to seeing the results !

Enrico

Posted by Enrico Olivelli <eo...@gmail.com>.