Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Rohit Yadav <bh...@apache.org> on 2013/02/14 12:51:57 UTC

License issue for js file from ui-plugins merge

Hi Brian for you commit on master, can you fix the license for
ui/lib/require.js?
It suggests an external depedency require.js from Dojo Foundation. We
need to attribute them in LICENSE and fix other files so rat won't
complain.

Commit:
commit 59c77b4850976b17af2b9ff7cceb051ae7b1e774
Author: Brian Federle <br...@citrix.com>
Date:   Wed Dec 19 15:47:25 2012 -0800

Regards.

Re: License issue for js file from ui-plugins merge

Posted by Rohit Yadav <bh...@apache.org>.
No, the file suggests this was already work of the requirejs project
from "The Dojo Foundation" with their licenses.
Since MIT license is available, it's compatible AL, but we still need

Posted by David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>.
On Thu, Feb 14, 2013 at 7:08 AM, Pranav Saxena <pr...@citrix.com> wrote:
> Yeah right now the require.js file merged has this license -
>
> /** vim: et:ts=4:sw=4:sts=4
>  * @license RequireJS 2.1.2 Copyright (c) 2010-2012, The Dojo Foundation All Rights Reserved.
>  * Available via the MIT or new BSD license.
>  * see: http://github.com/jrburke/requirejs for details
>  */
> //Not using strict: uneven strict support in browsers, #392, and causes
> //problems with requirejs.exec()/transpiler plugins that may not be strict.
> /*jslint regexp: true, nomen: true, sloppy: true */
> /*global window, navigator, document, importScripts, jQuery, setTimeout, opera *
>

> This needs to be changed to the Apache licensing  , right ?

NO - we must never change the license for code which is not ours.
The author(s) set the license, and we must honor that.

Folks, please try and communicate about adding dependencies/libraries
like this BEFORE it hits the repo.

--David

Re: License issue for js file from ui-plugins merge

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com>.
On Thu, Feb 14, 2013 at 11:49:49AM -0800, Animesh Chaturvedi wrote:

> [...]

Well, the info needs to go into the tools/whisker/descriptor*.xml files,
and we need to re-generate the LICENSE and NOTICE at the top and in the
whisker folder.  We also need to add this file to the root pom's RAT
exclude list.

Like I said, I'll look at doing it if people want.  I'll be able to do
it tomorrow morning EST.

-chip

RE: License issue for js file from ui-plugins merge

Posted by Animesh Chaturvedi <an...@citrix.com>.

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com>.

Author: Brian Federle <br...@citrix.com>
Date:   Wed Dec 19 15:47:25 2012 -0800

Regards.

RE: License issue for js file from ui-plugins merge

Posted by Pranav Saxena <pr...@citrix.com>.
Thanks Chip for handling that.

On Thu, Feb 14, 2013 at 05:21:57PM +0530, Rohit Yadav wrote:
> Hi Brian for you commit on master, can you fix the license for
> ui/lib/require.js?
> It suggests an external depedency require.js from Dojo Foundation. We
> need to attribute them in LICENSE and fix other files so rat won't
> complain.
>
> Commit:
> commit 59c77b4850976b17af2b9ff7cceb051ae7b1e774
> Author: Brian Federle <br...@citrix.com>
> Date:   Wed Dec 19 15:47:25 2012 -0800
>
> Regards.

Legal documentation has been dealt with in master in commit 6279433.

RE: License issue for js file from ui-plugins merge

Posted by Animesh Chaturvedi <an...@citrix.com>.
Do we really need to wait 72 hours for all merge requests? I feel that slows developers down unless they plan very well. We had similar discussion just 3 weeks back
and it was discussed that it depends on the scope and dependencies with other modules on case-by-case basis. If all discussion and development and review has happened by community and if it is isolated feature merge can be done quickly.

Here is link to that discussion.

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-cloudstack-dev/201301.mbox/%3C93099572B72EB341B81A644E134F240B012F747FE622@SJCPMAILBOX01.citrite.net%3E

Thanks
Animesh

Posted by Alex Huang <Al...@citrix.com>.
Yup.  I'm mainly making a case against just emails that says "guys, let's do this" or "guys let's not do this".  Emails like that should always be backed by items in one of the guideline wikis so people can come back to refer to it.

--Alex

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com>.

Posted by Alex Huang <Al...@citrix.com>.
Chip,

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com>.

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com>.
On Feb 15, 2013, at 1:16 PM, Alex Huang <Al...@citrix.com> wrote:

> This should be on wiki somewhere.
>
> It is not enough to reach a consensus on the ML for code collaboration and community behavior.  Please record this decision as a guideline on the community topic on the wiki.  Think about how new people or people who was not interested in this topic can possibly know this decision.

Also, this resulted in a clear build failure email from builds.a.o
that should have triggered a fix or email to the list asking for how
to resolve. That's something we should all be watching for.

RE: License issue for js file from ui-plugins merge

Posted by Alex Huang <Al...@citrix.com>.

Posted by Animesh Chaturvedi <an...@citrix.com>.

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com>.