Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Tom Malia <to...@ttdsinc.com> on 2007/03/26 19:24:11 UTC

Dumpfilter example for windows/dos ?

Hey folks,

I'm trying to use dump to move some projects between repositories. So far
I've got the dump and load stuff working,  but now I want to dump a
repository, the strip out from that just a particular branch, then load just
that branch into another Repo..

I think I need to use the dump then dumpfilter to get a dump file that only
contains the one branch I'm interested in then load that. does that sound
correct?

If so, then I'm having trouble with the syntax:

The book shows an example like:

$ cat repos-dumpfile | svndumpfilter include calc > calc-dumpfile

But if I try this I get an error that cat is not a recognized command.which
is what I expected, but that doesn't help me with how I'm suppose to use
Dumpfilter from a DOS command prompt.  How do I tell svndumpfilter what
source file it's suppose to use?

Re: Dumpfilter example for windows/dos ?

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Mar 26, 2007, at 14:37, Tom Malia wrote:

> Found the answer….
>

> The statement:
>
> $ cat repos-dumpfile | svndumpfilter include calc > calc-dumpfile
>

> In DOS would be:
>
> $ svndumpfilter include calc <repos-dumpfile  >calc-dumpfile If
> anyone might be interested… It might be nice if this syntax was
> available in the Subversion book, if someone could pass that along
> to the editors.

I've submitted feedback to the book authors:

http://www.red-bean.com/pipermail/svnbook-dev/2007-March/003083.html

Re: RE: Dumpfilter example for windows/dos ?

Posted by Andy Levy <an...@gmail.com>.
On 3/26/07, Norton, Richard <Ri...@lfg.com> wrote:

> You also could use the original example, but replace 'cat' with 'type'

I've never been "into" Cygwin, but I never leave home without
http://unxutils.sourceforge.net/ on a USB thumbdrive. I also have it
installed on "my" workstations. Many of the comforts of *NIX, ported
to Win32 console.

Posted by Flavio Stanchina <fl...@stanchina.net>.
Norton, Richard wrote:
> You also could use the original example, but replace 'cat' with 'type'

Not quite. 'TYPE' doesn't behave very well with binary data, as far as I
know.

Using input/output redirection is definitely the best choice, both on
Unix and on Windows. I wonder why one should use "cat file | command"
rather than just "command <file".

--
Ciao, Flavio

Re: Dumpfilter example for windows/dos ?

Posted by Andy Levy <an...@gmail.com>.
On 3/27/07, Flavio Stanchina <fl...@stanchina.net> wrote:
> Norton, Richard wrote:
> > [...]
> > Notice of Confidentiality: **This E-mail and any of its attachments may contain
> > Lincoln National Corporation proprietary information, [...]
>
> By the way, get rid of this disclaimer if at all possible. It wastes
> bandwidth, it has no legal value and it sounds quite ridiculous on a
> public mailing list that is archived all over the web.

This has been brought up on this and many other mailing lists in the
past. Unfortunately, one doesn't have much choice when using corporate
email - this sort of thing is usually added at the outgoing SMTP host,
where the sender has no way of controlling it. IMHO the best thing to
do is to end all emails with a line containing only "-- "
(dash-dash-space), which will signal to many mail clients that
anything after is a signature and should be shown in a lighter/smaller
font, and discarded completely when replying.

Re: Dumpfilter example for windows/dos ?

Posted by Flavio Stanchina <fl...@stanchina.net>.

Posted by Tom Malia <to...@ttdsinc.com>.
Thanks, I like that better since it more closely matches the original.  That
will be easier to rember.

  _____

Posted by Tom Malia <to...@ttdsinc.com>.
Hum. guess I didn't understand the dumpfilter process.

What I was hoping to get from the filter was basically a copy of the branch
with the source code, the folder properties etc..  But what I got was file
that appeared to have no source code in it. what am I doing wrong?  How
should I be tackling this problem?

Here's the actual contents of the filtered dump if this is of any help to
anyone in figuring out what I did wrong:

SVN-fs-dump-format-version: 2

UUID: c1ded38a-fbc6-e840-9461-f5266427772e

Revision-number: 0

Prop-content-length: 56

K 8

svn:date