Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Allistair Crossley <Al...@QAS.com> on 2004/02/03 16:49:02 UTC

workers2.properties syntax and as Load Balancer??

The following is my workers2.properties file.

[shm:]
info=Shared memory file. Required for multiprocess servers
file=D:\Tomcat 5.0\work\jk2.shm
size=1000000

[channel.socket:localhost:8009]
info=Ajp13 worker, connects to tomcat instance using AJP 1.3 protocol
tomcatId=localhost:8009

[uri:/*.do]
info=iQ2
context=/

[uri:/*.jsp]
info=iQ2
context=/

1) Where on earth is the JK2 syntax and options that one puts in this workers2.properties ... the JK2 docs on the jakarta site are a) under Tomcat 4.1 and b) use a different dot-notated syntax to this above

2) Am I right in thinking that I can add additional tomcat instances to this file, e.g.

[channel.socket:localhost:8010]
[channel.socket:localhost:8011]
[channel.socket:localhost:8012]

And give each a load balance factor?? If so, where can I get hold of the syntax for this?

3) If (2) then is this a fair enough way to handle load balancing? Can I create different mappings for each? E.g

[channel.socket:localhost:8012]
[uri:/search.do]
info=Search Function
context=/

4) If I am to setup a set of Tomcat instances for load balancing, then can I configure them ALL to be Windows Services ... I tried this before where I had 5.0.16 as a Windows Service, then installed 5.0.18 as a service and despite changing the values it overwrote all my 5.0.16 service settings. I would like to have multiple Tomcat instances as Windows Services so they come up after a reboot. I don't want to really have to call all their startup.bat scripts.

Thanks! ADC

QAS Ltd.
Developers of QuickAddress Software
Registered in England: No 2582055