Posted to dev@lenya.apache.org by "Scherler, Thorsten" <th...@apache.org> on 2004/05/11 01:16:35 UTC

International apache branches

Hello Greg, cocoon devs, forrest devs, lenya devs.

I am thinking about to open up a cocoon/-lenya site in Spain.
There is a growing community and the majority wants to communicate in
spanish.

Does anybody knows what the ASF policy for international branches is
(Greg as chairman)?

Can it be a direct spin-off of e.g. lenya (like e.g.
http://www.xaraya.com/ and http://es.xaraya.com/)?

Could it be then hosted like http://es.cocoon.apache.org/lenya/ or
http://cocoon.apache.org/lenya/es/?

How forrest deals with i18n?

Any help, input, links or thoughts are highly welcome.

King regards
Thorsten
--
<thorsten>
  <name>Thorsten Scherler</name>

Re: International apache branches

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <th...@juntadeandalucia.es>.
David Crossley wrote:

>>How forrest deals with i18n?
>>

>We have people at forrest-dev interested in extending Forrest's
>internationalization abilities. Please join us.

I will try to contribute to forrest on a regular basis!
...but first I have to get back into forrest once again a wee bit.

cheers for the invitation.
King regards
thorsten

--
Thorsten Scherler

Departamento de Desarrollo de Proyectos
Sociedad Andaluza para el Desarrollo de la Sociedad de la Información S.A.U.

Re: International apache branches

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
Scherler, Thorsten wrote:
> Hello Greg, cocoon devs, forrest devs, lenya devs.
>
> I am thinking about to open up a cocoon/-lenya site in Spain.
> There is a growing community and the majority wants to communicate in
> spanish.

That could be done via local user groups, then the multilingual
people would bring the ideas into the Apache project communities
to be discussed and implemented. We could not fragment or replicate
our actual projects.

> Does anybody knows what the ASF policy for international branches is
> (Greg as chairman)?

I do not know - that question would need to be asked in a
different forum, i.e. not at this project level. I expect
that the short answer is no. Perhaps ask at community@a.org

> How forrest deals with i18n?

We have people at forrest-dev interested in extending Forrest's
internationalization abilities. Please join us.

--David

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <th...@juntadeandalucia.es>.
Hello Juan,

thanks for your response.

Juan Jose Pablos wrote:

> Scherler, Thorsten escribió:
>
>> I am thinking about to open up a cocoon/-lenya site in Spain.
>> There is a growing community and the majority wants to communicate in
>> spanish.
>

> I have got the feeling that it will be a burden for all these people
> that talk both languages. This is a tipical scenario:
>
> A user for the software explain his problem in his native language,
> someone has to pick it up and translated so a developer can work on
> it.. Then the developer ask for more information and this has to be
> translated so the user understand and so on....

Jupp, I thought of that as well. We would need intermediaries which is
not really the best way to go! On the other hand this can be as well an
advantage for spreading the knowledge about e.g. cocoon (translator and
dev will have to understand the problematic). Dunno how to best deal
with that. I hope there are enough bilingual people that could help with
that (then there wouldn't be that big problem with translation).

>> How forrest deals with i18n?
>

> I hold a bug on that. Check that out:
> http://issues.cocoondev.org/jira/secure/ViewIssue.jspa?key=FOR-18

I checked it out and bottom line for me is that is quite possible!
That's good news so.

Thank you very much for your thoughts and for the link!

King regards
thorsten

Posted by Juan Jose Pablos <ch...@che-che.com>.

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <th...@juntadeandalucia.es>.
Steven Noels wrote:

> On 11 May 2004, at 01:16, Scherler, Thorsten wrote:
>
>> I am thinking about to open up a cocoon/-lenya site in Spain.
>> There is a growing community and the majority wants to communicate in
>> spanish.
>>
>> Does anybody knows what the ASF policy for international branches is
>> (Greg as chairman)?
>

> I'm not sure whether there is a policy for "international branches",
> as I don't understand the concept per se.
>
> If you just mean a Spanish language version of the Lenya website (i.e.
> providing Spanish translation), or having language-specific mailing
> lists, all this has been done before, and is just a matter of asking
> to the infrastructure team. The incubating Spamassassin project has
> German mailing lists, for example.

Awesome, didn't know! Yes that is what I was planing to do! I mean a
spanish USER-list and a spanish translation of the page.

I will contact infrastructure ASAP.

> The important thing here is oversight: making sure the PMC is able to
> follow what is going on.

That would be you, right ;-)?
Do you would like a monthly report or something similar?
I will write down my ideas and will send them to you directly.

>> Can it be a direct spin-off of e.g. lenya (like e.g.
>> http://www.xaraya.com/ and http://es.xaraya.com/)?
>

> Again, I wouldn't call this a "spin-off", as this presumably shouldn't
> be a fork or some area where development and community focus diverges
> from the original (English) one. It's just a matter of translation,
> and providing language-specific discussion lists, no?

Jupp, exactly. I do not want to diverge from the original. My intention
is to ease the usage of cocoon/-lenya for spanish speaking people. It
seems to be very import for spanish speaking user to express themself in
their own language.

>> Could it be then hosted like http://es.cocoon.apache.org/lenya/ or
>> http://cocoon.apache.org/lenya/es/?
>

> I don't see any problem with having a Lenya committer posting Spanish
> pages in the Lenya webspace.
>
> Just make sure you don't disperse an already small community into two
> smaller ones.

Any tips how to prefend that?
I think one way is to open up a spanish user list and NOT a dev list.
So the developers would still only speak in english (but if you are a
software developer I think you should be able to speak in english anyway).

Like I stated before: I just want to help spanish cocoon/-lenya user
with our application.

...by the way: how about to do this as well with cocoon? I guess Antonio
could help me on that as well. ;-)

Thank you very much for this information and I will let you know about
the development.

King regards and saludos
thorsten

--
Thorsten Scherler

Departamento de Desarrollo de Proyectos
Sociedad Andaluza para el Desarrollo de la Sociedad de la Información S.A.U.
Avda. de la Arboleda s/n
41940 - Tomares,  (Sevilla)

Re: International apache branches

Posted by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org>.