Posted to jetspeed-user@portals.apache.org by Richard Berger <ri...@actiontech.com> on 2004/01/16 00:40:16 UTC

Fixed?: log4j: ERROR Attempted to append to closed appender [jetspeed]

I saw a question on this in the archives but with no resolution - and I
thought I should share a possible solution.  Everything was working fine
on my portal, until I needed to integrate with our business process
management system - resulting in bringing in some additional jar files.
After that, my console was full of:
    log4j: ERROR Attempted to append to closed appender [jetspeed]

Everything seemed ok, but it was clearly ugly.  Eventually tracked the
problem down to a conflict between the log4j.rootLogger setting in the
jetspeed log4j.properties and that setting in the external system's
log4j.properties.

The external system had:
log4j.rootLogger=ERROR,metrolog,stdout

Jetspeed had:
log4j.rootLogger = INFO, jetspeed

Where metrolog was a RollingFileAppenderLog and jetspeed was a
FileAppenderLog

Guessing that there was a conflict between these two, I simply changed
Jetspeed's log4j.properties to:
log4j.rootLogger = INFO, stdout

And (a) the problem went away and (b) the jetspeed.log contents were
just fine (e.g. logging to that file was not impacted).  But my console
is much cleaner :).

Enjoy,
RB

Twenty Years | One Mission | Accelerating Business Processes

Richard Berger
Action Technologies, Inc.
VP, Product Management
510.748.1017 (Office)
510.769.0596 (Fax)
www.actiontech.com

NOTE: The opinions expressed herein are those of the writer and not necessarily those of Action Technologies, Inc. or its employees or its affiliates.