Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Justy Wong <wo...@chowsangsang.com> on 2004/10/18 11:32:31 UTC

validation question

Hi,

I have a http://localhost:8080/login.do action and I want to do validation for the form when user submit their username & password.

here is my setting in validation.xml:

        <form name="loginForm">
            <field property="username" depends="required">
                <arg0 key="its.login.username"/>
            </field>
            <field property="password" depends="required,mask">
                <arg0 key="its.login.password"/>
                <var>
                    <var-name>mask</var-name>
                    <var-value>^[0-9a-zA-Z]*$</var-value>
                </var>
            </field>
        </form>

The validation works fine however, when I just type the http://localhost:8080/login.do in my browser (no submit), the validation error will show up at once.
I understand that it's just like I submit a form to login.do action without any parameter.
My question is, do struts provide any simple method to avoid this and just show no error message? Thanks a lot!!!

Justy

Re: validation question

Posted by Yves Sy <yv...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Struts doesn't have anything like that.

IMHO, I also think that using validator on the login page is not good
practice as it would give malicious users a good idea on how your app
handles authentication.

Usually, you'd just return a generic error message such as
"Username/password invalid" whenever login fails (or in your case, the
user directly types /login.do in the browser). Try not to give out any
information as much as possible.

Regards,
-Yves-

--