Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by James <su...@rediffmail.com> on 2004/09/21 21:08:51 UTC

is james better than qmail, postfix ?

is there any comparison available between James, qmail & Postfix etc ?

RE: is james better than qmail, postfix ?

Posted by Daniel Perry <d....@netcase.co.uk>.
> is there any comparison available between James, qmail & Postfix etc ?

Not as far as i know.

I think it is difficult to do a straight comparison of MTAs, as they all
seem so different.

I was given the job of setting up a mail server, and i had certain
requirements.  I looked at qmail, sendmail, postfix, and couldnt find an
'easy' way to do everything, and they looked like a nightmare to configure
and administer.

I had a look at james, and my mind was made up!  It's a mail server with XML
configuration which out of the box did practically everything i needed.
Also, it's written in Java, so i can mess with the source (as i did) - there
was no way i was planning to look at the source for sendmail (it's C - yuk).
You can use a database for users which came in handy for web based
administration.

There are several things that were missing:

I needed to use virtual hosting, with username@domain as the username, which
didnt work.  With a bit of code hacking, i came up with a workaround.  I
also found it painful specifying domains in the config file and restarting
to update them- again this was simple to modify to use a database table.

The big things still missing for me are:
- decent IMAP support (not sure whats happening here).
- decent mailing lists.  Again these have to be set up in the config file.
I started work on a database configurable matcher mailet pair for this, but
due to lack of time havnt got very far.

I hope this gives you some insight into how james differs from other mail
servers.

Daniel.