Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@apache.org> on 2019/07/01 06:32:59 UTC

Re: Podling expectations and some issues encountered in incubation

Well, I think a lot of frustration with the Apache incubation process could
be avoided simply by very explicitly asking this question to a community
planning to start incubation: “Are you aware that until you complete
incubation you will not be in full control of your project, for example,
please scrap your release schedule until you complete incubation because
your release dates will not be under your control?”

Gj

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> Ownership of the Projects.  Once a project enters the Incubator, ASF owns the project.

Owns is probably too strong a word, but it expected they follow ASF policies (and what you listed)  by the time they are ready to graduate.

> All trademark/IP around the project belongs to ASF now.

The ASF/ALv2 only asks for a grant of copyright not IP ownership, the code actually still belong to it’s original owners (and that’s often noted in the NOTICE file), but both IP and trademarks  are taken very seriously.

Thanks,
Justin

Re: Podling expectations and some issues encountered in incubation

Posted by York Shen <sh...@gmail.com>.
Agreed with that, from a poddling’s respective, I think it’s important that the community understand the following issues before it enters the incubator:
Governance Model. Projects in Incubator would adopt Meritocracy model, no exception.
Ownership of the Projects.  Once a project enters the Incubator, ASF owns the project. All trademark/IP around the project belongs to ASF now. Though if they choose retire from Incubator, the incubator would give it back.

Best Regards,
York Shen

申远