Posted to users@maven.apache.org by John Kramer <jk...@mojiva.com> on 2012/07/25 19:48:42 UTC

Issue with liquibase plugin and Maven: Cannot find database driver: org.postgresql.Driver

Hi there,

I am using the liquibase plugin and I keep getting the following error:

[ERROR] Failed to execute goal org.liquibase:liquibase-maven-plugin:2.0.3:update (default) on project dbmigration: Error setting up or running Liquibase: java.lang.RuntimeException: Cannot find database driver: org.postgresql.Driver -> [Help 1]
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.LifecycleExecutionException: Failed to execute goal org.liquibase:liquibase-maven-plugin:2.0.3:update (default) on project dbmigration: Error setting up or running Liquibase: java.lang.RuntimeException: Cannot find database driver: org.postgresql.Driver

I am configuring the liquibase plugin as follows:

<build>
                <plugins>
                        <plugin>
                                <version>2.3.2</version>
                                <configuration>
                                        <source>1.6</source>
                                        <target>1.6</target>
                                </configuration>
                        </plugin>
                        <plugin>
                                <groupId>org.liquibase</groupId>
                                <artifactId>liquibase-maven-plugin</artifactId>
                                <version>2.0.3</version>
                                <executions>
                                        <execution>
                                                <phase>process-resources</phase>
                                                <goals>
                                                        <goal>update</goal>
                                                </goals>
                                        </execution>
                                </executions>
                                <dependencies>
                                        <dependency>
                                                <groupId>postgresql</groupId>
                                                <artifactId>postgresql</artifactId>
                                                <version>9.0-801.jdbc4</version>
                                        </dependency>
                                </dependencies>
                                <configuration>
                                        <changeLogFile>db/changelog-master.xml</changeLogFile>
                                        <driver>org.postgresql.Driver</driver>
                                        <url>jdbc:someurl</url>
                                        <username>mojiva</username>
                                        <password>mojiva</password>
                                        <promptOnNonLocalDatabase>false</promptOnNonLocalDatabase>
                                        <contexts>main</contexts>
                                </configuration>
                        </plugin>
                </plugins>
            </build>

and the following dependency is part of my project:

        <dependencies>
               <dependency>
<groupId>postgresql</groupId>
                        <artifactId>postgresql</artifactId>
                        <version>9.0-801.jdbc4</version>
                        <type>jar</type>
                        <scope>compile</scope>
                </dependency>
        </dependencies>

If I manually inspect the specified postgres jar, it does contain the class org.postgresql.Driver.

And if I run maven with debugging output turned on, it looks like the plugin's classpath contains that jar:

[DEBUG] Importing foreign packages into class realm plugin>org.liquibase:liquibase-maven-plugin:2.0.3
[DEBUG] Created new class realm plugin>org.liquibase:liquibase-maven-plugin:2.0.3
[DEBUG]   Imported:  < maven.api
[DEBUG] Populating class realm plugin>org.liquibase:liquibase-maven-plugin:2.0.3
[DEBUG]   Included: org.liquibase:liquibase-maven-plugin:jar:2.0.3
[DEBUG]   Included: postgresql:postgresql:jar:9.0-801.jdbc4
[DEBUG]   Included: org.codehaus.plexus:plexus-utils:jar:1.0.4
[DEBUG]   Included: org.liquibase:liquibase-core:jar:2.0.3
[DEBUG]   Excluded: org.apache.maven:maven-plugin-api:jar:2.0
[DEBUG]   Excluded: org.apache.maven:maven-project:jar:2.0
[DEBUG]   Excluded: org.apache.maven:maven-profile:jar:2.0
[DEBUG]   Excluded: org.apache.maven:maven-model:jar:2.0
[DEBUG]   Excluded: org.apache.maven:maven-artifact-manager:jar:2.0
[DEBUG]   Excluded: org.apache.maven:maven-repository-metadata:jar:2.0
[DEBUG]   Excluded: org.apache.maven:maven-artifact:jar:2.0
[DEBUG]   Excluded: org.codehaus.plexus:plexus-container-default:jar:1.0-alpha-8
[DEBUG]   Excluded: junit:junit:jar:4.8.1
[DEBUG]   Excluded: classworlds:classworlds:jar:1.1-alpha-2

Any help is very much appreciated!

John Kramer
email: jkramer@mojiva.com<ma...@mojiva.com>

Re: Issue with liquibase plugin and Maven: Cannot find database driver: org.postgresql.Driver

Posted by Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com>.
> After examining the slightly older version in my local repo, it turns out
> that although unzip tolerates the archive, jar does not.
>
> A nicer error message would have been good, but I am not sure that that is
> really a Maven issue.  It likely has to do with the particular JVM and
> class loader that I am using (in my case that the Apple Java
> implementation).

Not sure how (or where) that type of error could be handled. It is
true that none of the jars on the classpath had that
org.postgresql.Driver because the jar which did have it was, for all
intents, corrupt so the class was not visible to the plugin. :)

Wayne

Re: Issue with liquibase plugin and Maven: Cannot find database driver: org.postgresql.Driver

Posted by Anders Hammar <an...@hammar.net>.
As I thought, some silly thing. :-)
But sure, it would have been nice if the JVM could have informed of
this problem. But maybe it would have if verbose had been turned on.

Anyways, thanks for reporting back. Stuff like this always bugs me, I
keep thinking there's something obvious I've missed.

/Anders

Posted by John Kramer <jk...@mojiva.com>.

Posted by Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Anders Hammar <an...@hammar.net>.
OK. I have no clue then. The Liquibase forum should be your best
source as I don't think this is a general Maven thing. At least I
couldn't spot a problem based on the info you posted. But I would
guess it's just some silly thing as I'm having a hard time it being a
bug.

Posted by John Kramer <jk...@mojiva.com>.

Posted by John Kramer <jk...@mojiva.com>.
Hi Anders,