Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Wolfgang Egger <be...@wolfgang-egger.de> on 2003/05/27 11:41:56 UTC

Running tomcat from CD-ROM

Servus,

I have to develop a project, that must be platform independant and has to run
within a browser. The project must be shipped on CD and there must no
installation or setup procedure.

Because there has to be some computations and user-interaction at runtime, I
have to access some files on the CD and because I don't want to do all that
with JavaScript, my idea is to start tomcat from the CD and do all the
computational stuff with java.

I assume it's possible to decide on which platform the app is running, so I
ask, if it is possible to start the right (for the current OS) tomcat with
the right java from the CD? Or does tomcat has to have write-access to the
place where it is startet from, e.g. for logging and other things it has to
write at runtime?

Have a nice and peacefully day!

Wolfgang

Re: Running tomcat from CD-ROM

Posted by Wolfgang Egger <be...@wolfgang-egger.de>.
Servus Sriram,

Am Dienstag, 27. Mai 2003 12:00 schrieb Sriram N:

> Some questions:
>
> 1. If your project is browser based, how "automatic" do you plan to make
> the solution ? Will the user have to type in the URL ? (I don't know if
> Un*x has anything like Windows' Internet Shortcuts).

As automatic as possible;-)

> If you could depend on your user to run some file, you might have to just
> alter startup.bat, I think. You could then bundle JRE+tools.jar on the CD
> itself
Yes, I hope I can talk with the customers that this should be the way we go.
The concept says, that there should be some autostart-action when putting the
CD into the CD-player, but I don't think, that I will find a solution doing
that for all platforms with the same procedure, so I hope I could let the
user make the choice. In real life 98% of the possible users have MS Windows
running, so may be we only promote the windows-cd-autostart and let the other
users starting the system manually.

> (I'm busy with industrial automation at factories now-a-days, and have no
> access to a real Tomcat system or code, sorry...)

No problem! I'm happy to have some days to think about all of that, without
time-pressure. Thanx for your constructive answer!

Posted by Sriram N <sr...@yahoo.com>.
Hello,

I've done this (for the windows platform only), but with tomcat 4.0.1
I'd changed the code so that the "work" folder used by Tomcat would now be
housed ni the Windows TEMP folder.

I think Tomcat 4.1.24 has a way to specify the location of the CATALINA_TEMP
folder.

You'll have to use this folder (or folders) to be used as the logs and the work
folders.

I've used NSIS to configure some other things before starting Tomcat via my own
executable Jar. I have a Swing UI which makes use to tomcat components.

Some questions:

1. If your project is browser based, how "automatic" do you plan to make the
solution ? Will the user have to type in the URL ? (I don't know if Un*x has
anything like Windows' Internet Shortcuts).

If you could depend on your user to run some file, you might have to just alter
startup.bat, I think. You could then bundle JRE+tools.jar on the CD itself

(I'm busy with industrial automation at factories now-a-days, and have no
access to a real Tomcat system or code, sorry...)

-- Sriram