Posted to dev@community.apache.org by Johan Corveleyn <jc...@gmail.com> on 2017/12/03 15:21:39 UTC

Project website design and style guidelines / tips

Hi,

Some of us in the Subversion community have been talking about
"refreshing" our website [1]. Overall it's not bad I think, but it
starts to feel a bit dated. We'd like to update it with a more modern
L&F, make it more attractive, perhaps shuffle around some bits of
information to make them more easily discoverable, etc ...

Before we go reinvent the wheel, I was wondering: does the ASF have
some guidelines, style guides, templates, tips? I found one recent
mailthread on dev@community: "Where's the code" [2], but that was
mainly focused on having a link to the source repositories and
download links.

Browsing through some project websites I see quite some diversity. Is
this: each project does its own thing? Or is there a desire to create
some consistency and / or take the burden of designing websites away
from the projects a bit (most of us are nowhere near experienced web
designers)?

Any checklists of things to keep in mind?

Any great examples within the ASF ecosystem?

[1] http://subversion.apache.org/
[2] https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/f33c88b52afbf65aabb028772dcd08ebb78a237d99221566754fa82a@%3Cdev.community.apache.org%3E

Johan

Re: Project website design and style guidelines / tips

Posted by Mark Bretl <mb...@apache.org>.
Another resource for the required links is the TLP Website check,
https://whimsy.apache.org/site/check.

Best regards,

--Mark

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Kevin A. McGrail" <ke...@mcgrail.com>.

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi,

On Sun, Dec 3, 2017 at 4:21 PM, Johan Corveleyn <jc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> ...Browsing through some project websites I see quite some diversity. Is
> this: each project does its own thing?...

Yes, I don't think there are any foundation-wide resources for that.

Now, if you see a site from another ASF project that you like, I
suppose it's fine to ask them if you can borrow their design and
repurpose it for your own project.

AFAIK our infra team wants to deprecate the Apache CMS so the
recommend was to publish our websites today is either svnpubsub or
gitpubsub, https://blogs.apache.org/infra/entry/git_based_websites_available
- which means you're free to se whatever site generation tool that
works for you.

(you might now this already - mentioning it for completeness of this thread ;-)

-Bertrand