Posted to dev@chemistry.apache.org by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com> on 2009/05/05 15:51:59 UTC

New committer info

Hi,

While we wait for the new committer accounts to start coming in,
here's some basic information to all the new Apache committers. This
information is based on a template used to welcome new committers to
Apache. Others may also find this interesting, so I'm posting this as
a generic message to chemistry-dev@.

Once your Apache account has been created, you will receive an email
with information on how to use it. You should use one of the many ssh
clients to login and change both your account password, using the
passwd command, and your subversion password using the svnpasswd
command (we recommend using different passwords).

Many developers also place their public

    ssh keys in ~/.ssh/authorized_keys
    pgp/gpg key in ~/.pgpkey
    pgp/gpg key fingerprint summary in ~/.pubkey

in their home directory on the people.apache.org server.

Version Control
===============

After setting up your account, you can check out the latest Chemistry
trunk with write access is enabled (note the https scheme):

    svn checkout https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/chemistry/trunk

More committer and subversion info can be found at

    http://www.apache.org/dev/
    http://www.apache.org/dev/committers.html

    http://subversion.tigris.org/
    http://svnbook.red-bean.com/
    http://svnbook.red-bean.com/svnbook/apa.html  (quick guide for cvs users)

BEFORE COMMITTING anything using subversion, please set up your local
configuration so that it adds native eol properties to the common text
files.  Instructions can be found at

    http://www.sipfoundry.org/tools/svn-tips.html#line-ends
    http://www.apache.org/dev/svn-eol-style.txt

Issue Tracking
==============

We are using the following Jira project to track issues in Apache Chemistry:

    https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CMIS

I've added the relevant Jira accounts I could find as Chemistry
committers, so you can now edit, resolve, and close issues. If you
don't yet have a Jira account, go register one and let me know the
account name so I can grant you the required access rights.

Mailing Lists
goes in (or out) of the Chemistry code get made:

    chemistry-dev@incubator.apache.org

As a committer, you should also subscribe to the automated change
notices that will be sent to

    chemistry-commits@incubator.apache.org

Archives of the all the public lists can be found at

    http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/

All the initial committers and mentors have been subscribed to the private list

    chemistry-private@incubator.apache.org

which exists *only* for discussion of private matters within the
Chemistry PPMC (podling project management committee), such as
personnel issues (like proposing a new committer), licensing issues,
or security issues that have not yet been made public.  Please note
that normal technical discussion and project decisions (such as voting
on a release) are never done on the private list.  Although the
mailing list has a small membership, as described below, it is also
archived so that any member of the Apache Software Foundation can read
it later for oversight.

BTW, the Chemistry PPMC is the group created to make technical
decisions regarding the Apache Chemistry software, as delegated by the
Apache Incubator project. The Chemistry PPMC consists of all the
committers and mentors of the project.

Other useful information
========================

There exists a general sandbox for all projects, the committers
module, that contains various Apache tools and information about the
Apache projects and their committee info.

    svn co https://svn.apache.org/repos/private/committers

If you are interested in general Apache discussion, like how the
community works (or complaints about how it doesn't work), you can
subscribe to the community@apache.org mailing list. All committers are
also subscribed to a broadcast list called committers@apache.org which
is limited to important announcements from the ASF board or
infrastructure team.

Speaking of which, if you have an account or machine problem to
report, please send it to infrastructure@apache.org or create an issue
at

    http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA

BR,

Jukka Zitting

Re: New committer info

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

On Thu, May 7, 2009 at 9:51 AM, Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Also, I'm still waiting for CLAs and account name preferences from
> some of the initial committers. Note that I can't request your
> committer accounts without those.

I've just sent requests for all the remaining initial committer
accounts. Thanks everyone for the CLAs and other bits we needed!

BR,

Jukka Zitting

Re: New committer info

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

On Thu, May 7, 2009 at 9:51 AM, Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Just an update that we're still waiting for the first new accounts to
> be set up. I'll ping you as soon as they're available.

First new accounts (fguillaume, sfermigier, slacoin) are now in and I
just granted them write access to Chemistry. Have fun!

BR,

Jukka Zitting

Re: New committer info

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.