Posted to dev@spark.apache.org by Matei Zaharia <ma...@gmail.com> on 2013/09/03 03:48:18 UTC

[Licensing check] Spark 0.8.0-incubating RC1

Hi everyone,

In preparation for the 0.8 release, I've put together a first release candidate mostly to help mentors or more experienced Apache people check whether the licensing, POMs, etc are right: http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~matei/spark-0.8.0-incubating-RC1.tgz. I've tried to write the LICENSE, NOTICE, and POMs as required by Apache. Please take a look if you have a chance -- the ReadMe contains instructions on how to build it and launch the shell.

This first release candidate is still missing some doc pages, so it won't be the final release, but it should have in place all the packaging stuff we'd like for 0.8, and it should be able to run out of the box on Linux, Windows and Mac OS X. Feel free to also test it for functionality; we may merge in a couple more bug fixes but most of the functionality will be there.

Matei

Re: [Licensing check] Spark 0.8.0-incubating RC1

Posted by Matei Zaharia <ma...@gmail.com>.
Cool, thanks for trying it out!

Regarding the pull request model, let's see how it goes. I'd prefer not to have to support two different ways to send patches, but let's see what people ask for -- maybe existing Apache contributors will be more familiar with the JIRA way. I do want to document the model much better on our "how to contribute" page before our last release candidate of 0.8 though.

Matei

Posted by Tsuyoshi OZAWA <oz...@gmail.com>.
Hi Matei,

--
- Tsuyoshi

Re: [Licensing check] Spark 0.8.0-incubating RC1

Posted by Henry Saputra <he...@gmail.com>.
Hi Matei,

Re: apache/incubator-spark repo ready to use?

Posted by Henry Saputra <he...@gmail.com>.
Ah yes, sorry I jump the gun there. You moved the website so fast I
forget you already migrate the how to contribute page :)

Mea culpa from me.

- Henry

Posted by Matei Zaharia <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Henry Saputra <he...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Matei Zaharia <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <rv...@apache.org>.

Posted by Henry Saputra <he...@gmail.com>.
Matei, I think it would be better to freeze the pull requests against
mesos:spark GitHub repo and make announcement to start making pull
request against apache/incubator-spark.

We did the announcement for mailing lists move but I think we need to
do formal repo transition announcement too.

- Henry

Posted by Henry Saputra <he...@gmail.com>.
+1 =)

Posted by Matei Zaharia <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mike <sp...@good-with-numbers.com>.

Posted by Matei Zaharia <ma...@gmail.com>.
Yup, use a) for pre-0.8 stuff.

Matei

Posted by Evan Chan <ev...@ooyala.com>.
Sorry just to be super clear but "the GitHub repo" (ie PRs for 0.8
docs) refers to:

a)  github.com/mesos/spark
b)  github.com/apache/incubator-spark

I'm assuming a) but don't want to be wrong.... thanks!

On Tue, Sep 3, 2013 at 7:08 PM, Matei Zaharia <ma...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Yes, please do the PRs against the GitHub repo for now.
>
> Matei
>
> On Sep 3, 2013, at 4:57 PM, Evan Chan <ev...@ooyala.com> wrote:
>
>> Sorry one more clarification.
>>
>> For doc pull requests for 0.8 release, should these be done against
>> the existing mesos/spark repo, or against the mirror at
>> apache/incubator-spark ?
>> I'm hoping to clear up a couple things in the docs before the release this week.
>>
>> thanks,
>> -Evan
>>

>> On Tue, Sep 3, 2013 at 2:25 PM, Mark Hamstra <ma...@clearstorydata.com> wrote:
>>> Okay, so is there any way to get github's compare view to be happy with
>>> differently-named repositories?  What I want is to be able to compare and
>>> generate a pull request between
>>> github.com/apache/incubator-spark:masterand, e.g.,
>>> github.com/markhamstra/spark:myBranch and not need to create a new
>>> github.com/markhamstra/incubator-spark.  It's bad enough that the
>>> differently-named repos don't show up in the compare-view drop-down
>>> choices, but I also haven't been able to find a hand-crafted URL that will
>>> make this work.

>> --
>> --
>> Evan Chan
>> Staff Engineer
>> ev@ooyala.com  |

Evan Chan
Staff Engineer
ev@ooyala.com  |

Re: [Licensing check] Spark 0.8.0-incubating RC1

Posted by Matei Zaharia <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Evan Chan <ev...@ooyala.com>.
Matei,

On Tue, Sep 3, 2013 at 7:09 PM, Matei Zaharia <ma...@gmail.com> wrote:
> BTW, what docs are you planning to write? Something on make-distribution.sh would be nice.

Yes, I was planning to write something on make-distribution.sh, and
reference it in the standalone and Mesos deploy guides.

I was also going to document public methods in SparkContext that have
not been documented before, such as getPersistentRdds,
getExecutorStatus etc.   Some folks on my team don't realize that such
methods existed as they were not in the doc.

-Evan

> Matei
>
> On Sep 3, 2013, at 4:57 PM, Evan Chan <ev...@ooyala.com> wrote:
>
>> Sorry one more clarification.
>>
>> For doc pull requests for 0.8 release, should these be done against
>> the existing mesos/spark repo, or against the mirror at
>> apache/incubator-spark ?
>> I'm hoping to clear up a couple things in the docs before the release this week.
>>
>> thanks,
>> -Evan
>>

>> On Tue, Sep 3, 2013 at 2:25 PM, Mark Hamstra <ma...@clearstorydata.com> wrote:
>>> Okay, so is there any way to get github's compare view to be happy with
>>> differently-named repositories?  What I want is to be able to compare and
>>> generate a pull request between
>>> github.com/apache/incubator-spark:masterand, e.g.,
>>> github.com/markhamstra/spark:myBranch and not need to create a new
>>> github.com/markhamstra/incubator-spark.  It's bad enough that the
>>> differently-named repos don't show up in the compare-view drop-down
>>> choices, but I also haven't been able to find a hand-crafted URL that will
>>> make this work.

>> --
>> --
>> Evan Chan
>> Staff Engineer
>> ev@ooyala.com  |

Evan Chan
Staff Engineer
ev@ooyala.com  |

Re: [Licensing check] Spark 0.8.0-incubating RC1

Posted by Matei Zaharia <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Evan Chan <ev...@ooyala.com>.
Sorry one more clarification.

For doc pull requests for 0.8 release, should these be done against
the existing mesos/spark repo, or against the mirror at
apache/incubator-spark ?
I'm hoping to clear up a couple things in the docs before the release this week.

thanks,
-Evan

On Tue, Sep 3, 2013 at 2:25 PM, Mark Hamstra <ma...@clearstorydata.com> wrote:
> Okay, so is there any way to get github's compare view to be happy with
> differently-named repositories?  What I want is to be able to compare and
> generate a pull request between
> github.com/apache/incubator-spark:masterand, e.g.,
> github.com/markhamstra/spark:myBranch and not need to create a new
> github.com/markhamstra/incubator-spark.  It's bad enough that the
> differently-named repos don't show up in the compare-view drop-down
> choices, but I also haven't been able to find a hand-crafted URL that will
> make this work.
>

> On Tue, Sep 3, 2013 at 1:38 PM, Matei Zaharia <ma...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Yup, the plan is as follows:
>>
>> - Make pull request against the mirror
>> - Code review on GitHub as usual
>> - Whoever merges it will simply merge it into the main Apache repo; when
>> this propagates, the PR will be marked as merged
>>
>> I found at least one other Apache project that did this:
>> http://wiki.apache.org/cordova/ContributorWorkflow.
>>
>> Matei
>>
>> On Sep 3, 2013, at 10:39 AM, Mark Hamstra <ma...@clearstorydata.com> wrote:
>>
>> > What is going to be the process for making pull requests?  Can they be
>> made
>> > against the github mirror (https://github.com/apache/incubator-spark),
>> or
>> > must we use some other way?

>> master

>> for

Evan Chan
Staff Engineer
ev@ooyala.com  |

Re: [Licensing check] Spark 0.8.0-incubating RC1

Posted by Mark Hamstra <ma...@clearstorydata.com>.

Posted by Michael Joyce <ml...@gmail.com>.
Agreed. It would be nice for people to be able to contribute in a way that
doesn't force them through Github. I can't see that as being painful but it
would probably be nice for others to have the option at the very least. I
think the vast majority of people when given the two options will pick
Github so we wouldn't really lose out on much. Plus it would be a bummer to
miss out on contributions because someone is uncomfortable with Github or
pull request in general.

----------------
Mike

Posted by Henry Saputra <he...@gmail.com>.
Hey Reynold,

Posted by Reynold Xin <re...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Henry Saputra <he...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Guys.

Posted by Matei Zaharia <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Michael Joyce <jo...@apache.org>.
Henry,

Posted by "Mattmann, Chris A (398J)" <ch...@jpl.nasa.gov>.
Guys there are Github hooks set up by Jukka Zitting and others
in ASF infra that will monitor the ASF mirror on Github, and then
bring pull requests back to list as emails with links to the patches
for inclusion.

Please contact infra folks if there are questions in getting it set
up and it may require an INFRA ticket.

HTH!

Cheers,
Chris

Chris Mattmann, Ph.D.
Senior Computer Scientist
Office: 171-266B, Mailstop: 171-246
Email: chris.a.mattmann@nasa.gov
WWW:  http://sunset.usc.edu/~mattmann/

Posted by Henry Saputra <he...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Matei Zaharia <ma...@gmail.com>.
Yup, the plan is as follows:

Posted by Mark Hamstra <ma...@clearstorydata.com>.

Posted by Matei Zaharia <ma...@gmail.com>.
Hi guys,

> So are you planning to release 0.8 from the master branch (which is at
> a106ed8... now) or from branch-0.8?

Right now the branches are the same in terms of content (though I might not have merged the latest changes into 0.8). If we add stuff into master that we won't want in 0.8 we'll break that.

> My recommendation is that we start to use the Incubator release doc/guide:
>
> http://incubator.apache.org/guides/releasemanagement.html

Cool, thanks for the pointer. I'll try to follow the steps there about signing.

> Are we "locking" pull requests to github repo by tomorrow?
> Meaning no more push to GitHub repo for Spark.
>
> From your email seems like there will be more potential pull requests for
> github repo to be merged back to ASF Git repo.

We'll probably use the GitHub repo for the last few changes in this release and then switch. The reason is that there's a bit of work to do pull requests against the Apache one.

Posted by Mark Hamstra <ma...@clearstorydata.com>.

Posted by Matei Zaharia <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Mattmann, Chris A (398J)" <ch...@jpl.nasa.gov>.
Thanks Matei, I'll try and give it a look.

My recommendation is that we start to use the Incubator release doc/guide:

http://incubator.apache.org/guides/releasemanagement.html

Note that there is a new method for publishing release candidates and
releases
that uses SVNpubsub:

http://www.apache.org/dev/release.html#upload-ci

We should probably start using that. It will require a little back and
forth
with infra but will be worth it in the end. If no one files the issue
by this evening Eastern time, I'll file it.

Alternatively, at the least, the release candidate should be
housed on Apache servers, e.g., in your p.a.o/public_html/ directory, along
with *.md5 *.asc and *.sha files, and perhaps a CHANGES.txt/change log.
Also (and this is all in the guide above) your release signing key
should be uploaded to id.apache.org and then it will appear here:

http://people.apache.org/keys/group/spark.asc

HTH and happy to help out as needed.