Posted to apache-bugdb@apache.org by Robert Boeninger <bo...@slac.stanford.edu> on 2001/01/23 01:09:12 UTC

os-solaris/7112: From a browser, "Forbidden" to do a dir listing of a dir mounted from an NT server.

>Number:         7112
>Category:       os-solaris
>Synopsis:       From a browser, "Forbidden" to do a dir listing of a dir mounted from an NT server.
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
>Environment:
uname -a:

SunOS zmdsun1 5.7 Generic_106541-10 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-2

(also other Solaris 2.7 machines)
In the htdocs dir of an Apache 1.3.11, 12 and 14, if a
subdirectory, say 'area51' is mounted from an NT server,
then from either a NS or IE browser, referencing the URL
for this dir gives the familiar message:

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /area51 on this server
-----

The error_log files reports:

[Mon Jan 22 13:37:31 2001] [error] [client 134.79.112.138]
(79)Value too large for defined data type: access to /area51 failed
-------

That must be a useful clue, but I don't know what it means.

Other parallel dirs list just fine. Other parallel dirs mounted
from other NT servers fail in the same way.

The NT servers export the relevant partitions using the
"DiskShare" software.

Same thing happens with a similar Apache server installed on
an Ultra 5 Sun running Solaris 2.7.

The problem does *not* occur, however, on another Apache server
running on a Sparc 5, with Solaris 2.5.1. I'm not sure which version
of Apache it is. It has the earlier directory structure including
'share', 'etc'. I think it's the last such version.

These are the main facts.
>How-To-Repeat:
The problem occurs if you try to reference, in
a browser, URL 'http://zmdsun1.slac.stanford.edu/area51'.
Parallel directory 'http://zmdsun1.slac.stanford.edu/test'
works fine, for example. Both work on machine 'mdsun1', with
analogous URL's to the above.
>Fix:
It seems to me if someone could decipher the error_log
message, above, that would be a good start.
 [to include <ap...@Apache.Org> in the Cc line and make sure the]