Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Brian Tarbox <ta...@cabotresearch.com> on 2014/03/24 15:01:19 UTC

getting dropped messages in log even with no one running

I'm getting "messages dropped" messages in my cluster even when (like right
now) there are no clients running against the cluster.

1) who could be generating the traffic if there are no clients?
2) is there a way to list active clients...on the off chance that there is
a client I don't know about?
3) why is "messages dropped" an INFO rather than a WARNING?

I'm running 1.2.13 on a six node AWS cluster on m2-2xlarge servers.

Any help is appreciated.

Brian

Re: getting dropped messages in log even with no one running

Posted by Brian Tarbox <ta...@cabotresearch.com>.
The problem was one of my nodes was in some kind of bad Hinted-Handoff
loop.  I looked at CASSANDRA-4740 which discusses this but to no solution
that I could see.

When I killed the server trying to do the hinted-handoffs the other nodes
stopped complaining...as soon as I restarted the node all the other nodes
went right back into the "dropping messages" state.

Help please.

Brian