Posted to apache-bugdb@apache.org by Larry Martin <LM...@northpark.edu> on 2001/03/13 17:41:47 UTC

os-windows/7401: Apache 1.3.19 steals all IP addresses from IIS

>Number:         7401
>Category:       os-windows
>Synopsis:       Apache 1.3.19 steals all IP addresses from IIS
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       critical
When I have Apache 1.3.19 installed as a service, then when the machine is rebooted Apache begins answering on every IP assigned to that machine. IIS sites are supposed to answer on several of the IPs, but it reports that the port is busy when I start the IIS web. If I shut down the Apache service, start the IIS webs, and then start Apache, everything is well-behaved. It seems that Apache is greedy about the IPs.
I have the following (relevant?) lines in my config file:
Listen 206.68.42.20:80
BindAddress 206.68.42.20
ServerName webassign2.northpark.edu

I've also tried removing those lines and using VirtualHosts:
NameVirtualHost 206.68.42.20
<VirtualHost 206.68.42.20>
    ServerAdmin LMartin@northpark.edu
    DocumentRoot d:/webassign/apache/htdocs
    ServerName webassign2.northpark.edu
    ErrorLog logs/error.log
    CustomLog logs/access.log common
</VirtualHost>

In this case, the Apache takes over from IIS no matter what order I start them in!

Shouldn't this answer only on 206.68.42.20:80? Why would Apache be able to begin answering on other IPs like 206.68.42.18 which is assigned a different name in the DNS?
>How-To-Repeat:
Since this is on our production machines, I hesitate to play much longer; the webmaster is pretty upset when my server takes over the institutional web presence.
>Fix:
No.
 [to include <ap...@Apache.Org> in the Cc line and make sure the]