Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by David Thompson <Da...@holistix.net> on 2000/12/12 01:40:10 UTC

Question about Linux install of Tomcat 3.2 (is there an RPM yet)

I am a linux newbie so this might be a stupid question but...
I have linux 6.2 installed (using Redhat).
I have Apache 1.3.14 running well.
I have JDK 1.3 installed and working.
Now to get to where I want to be, I want to get Tomcat 3.2 running with
Apache. There are no RPM's for it as of last night (at least not at
redhat.com) and I do not want to mess with the older version. Can I install
the unix tars from apache.org on my system without building it myself? I
would assume there are system specific things that would require a rebuild
but I really do not want to deal with that right now. How long does it
normally take to get RPMs on redhat.com for something like this?
Any advice would be appreciated.
thanks,
dt

Re: Question about Linux install of Tomcat 3.2 (is there an RPM yet)

Posted by "John Clark L. Naldoza" <nj...@ntsp.nec.co.jp>.
David Thompson wrote:

> I am a linux newbie so this might be a stupid question but...
> I have linux 6.2 installed (using Redhat).
> I have Apache 1.3.14 running well.
> I have JDK 1.3 installed and working.
> Now to get to where I want to be, I want to get Tomcat 3.2 running with
> Apache. There are no RPM's for it as of last night (at least not at
> redhat.com) and I do not want to mess with the older version. Can I install
> the unix tars from apache.org on my system without building it myself? I
> would assume there are system specific things that would require a rebuild
> but I really do not want to deal with that right now. How long does it
> normally take to get RPMs on redhat.com for something like this?
> Any advice would be appreciated.
> thanks,
> dt

In essence you can...  As long as you have a supported JVM...;-)

--
     /) John Clark Naldoza y Lopez                           (\
    / )    Software Design Engineer II                       ( \

RE: Question about Linux install of Tomcat 3.2 (is there an RPM yet)

Posted by Ed Gomolka <eg...@ausinfo.com>.
Try here for RPM's:
http://rpmized.free.fr

Posted by Jeff Turner <je...@socialchange.net.au>.
There's RPMs for Tomcat (and a lot of other Apache stuff) listed at
http://rpmized.free.fr/ It's also indexed at http://rpmfind.net.

Specifically, you can get tomcat at
ftp://ftp.falsehope.com/home/gomez/tomcat/

Once you've installed the RPM, fix and run `/etc/rc.d/init.d/tomcat
start`, point your browser at http://localhost:8080 and you're away.

--Jeff