Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by jlindwall <jl...@yahoo.com> on 2014/07/17 03:22:58 UTC

Verifying a multicast cluster

I'm trying to verify that my multicast cluster is working properly: clients
on any node should receive msgs sent to any other node.

Using 5.10, on Ubuntu

In the past I have successfully created a network of brokers using a static
list of urls.  I could then run a "subscriber" client that connected to host
1 via a tcp://host1:11111 url and a "publisher" that published a message to
host 2 via a tcp://host2:2222 url.  The subscriber would, of course, receive
the message even though it was listening on a different host in the cluster.
That's the whole point of the cluster so yay for activemq!

Now I am trying to do the same with a cluster configured via multicast and
it is not working.  I use those same tcp:// urls on the two clients as shown
above and each successfully connects, however the message is not received by
the subscriber program.

http://activemq.apache.org/networks-of-brokers.htm
<http://activemq.apache.org/networks-of-brokers.htm>

I plan to use "discovery:(multicast://default)" urls in my final production
client configuration.  However, when I do that in my test programs they both
connect to the same physical node in the cluster which renders my test
inconclusive.  That is what lad me to try the tcp:// urls.

Is it invalid to use tcp:// urls in the clients to connect to a multicast
cluster perhaps?

Here is a node's config file.... I hope this raw tag works as I expect! :)

Thanks!
John

Re: Verifying a multicast cluster

Posted by jlindwall <jl...@yahoo.com>.
Just to be explicit for people looking for the solution in future, the fix
was to remove /advisorySupport="false"/ from the broker element in
activemq.xml.

Change:

To this:

Re: Verifying a multicast cluster

Posted by jlindwall <jl...@yahoo.com>.
I solved my own problem.  As is so often the case, it was a case of "user
shooting self in foot"

http://activemq.apache.org/networks-of-brokers.html
<http://activemq.apache.org/networks-of-brokers.html>

As mentioned in the documentation, you need to have *advisories enabled* for
a network of brokers to function properly.  I had disabled them.

My test programs now work as expected, so yes you can use direct tcp:// urls
to connect to specific nodes in a discovery-based cluster.

John