Posted to dev@pig.apache.org by Alan Gates <ga...@yahoo-inc.com> on 2008/02/05 19:28:09 UTC

Parameter substitution

http://wiki.apache.org/pig/ParameterSubstitution

What if instead we just built a C style preprocessor exactly, with
#define, #include, #ifdef, #ifndef, #if, #else, and #endif?

This would meet requirements 1, 2, 3, 5, and 6.  For 4, people would
have to generate the values with a script or binary themselves before
calling the command line, but this should be trivial:  pig -Dbla=`xxx`

This has the advantage that it is well understood by all, implementers
and users.  No one has to develop a new set or semantics and we don't
have to deal with user questions of how it works.

Alan.