Posted to user@thrift.apache.org by Bryan Duxbury <br...@rapleaf.com> on 2010/05/19 18:52:53 UTC

Thrift 0.3.0 RC4

I propose that we accept:
http://people.apache.org/~bryanduxbury/thrift-0.3.0-rc4.tar.gz<http://people.apache.org/%7Ebryanduxbury/thrift-0.3.0-rc4.tar.gz>

as the official Thrift 0.3.0 release. It is based on a fresh checkout from
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/thrift/branches/0.3.0.

(This version includes the fixes to the erlang build that David requested be
included.)

The GPG signature can be found at
http://people.apache.org/~bryanduxbury/thrift-0.3.0-rc4.tar.gz.asc<http://people.apache.org/%7Ebryanduxbury/thrift-0.3.0-rc4.tar.gz.asc>
with an MD5 sum of 4bb0c36a686a10d0b49734392c11a4a4

Please download and untar, verify the signature and sum, then run configure
and make.

Re: Thrift 0.3.0 RC4

Posted by Jeffrey DeCew <Je...@DeCew.org>.
+1
I've only verified the Java and Python libs, and the compiler on cygwin.
--
Jeff DeCew

Re: C++ code snippets

Posted by Richard Salz <rs...@us.ibm.com>.
> This would seem to suggest you have your own in-house portmapper-
> thingey. Interesting. I am considering open sourcing something that
> adresses, among other things, that subproblem.

Right now it's a wrapper for getservbyname, although later on we might
need something more dynamic.  Look forward to seeing what you're doing.

        /r$

--
STSM, WebSphere Appliance Architect
https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/mydeveloperworks/blogs/soma/

Re: C++ code snippets

Posted by Bjørn Borud <bb...@gmail.com>.
This would seem to suggest you have your own in-house portmapper-
thingey. Interesting. I am considering open sourcing something that
adresses, among other things, that subproblem.

-bjørn

--
Sent from my iPhone

C++ code snippets

Re: Thrift 0.3.0 RC4

Posted by Bryan Duxbury <br...@rapleaf.com>.
Hm, those ._ files seem like something edited by Textmate, but I can't
imagine why they'd have been svn added. I'll svn delete them from trunk.

Re: Thrift 0.3.0 RC4

Posted by David Reiss <dr...@facebook.com>.
+1

Re: Fwd: Thrift 0.3.0 RC4

Posted by Joe Schaefer <jo...@yahoo.com>.
For future reference, the votes should've taken place
on the dev list.  User lists shouldn't even be notified
about release candidates.

I'll have a look over the weekend at the tarballs.

From: Bryan Duxbury <
Date: Tue, May 25,
Subject: Re: Thrift 0.3.0 RC4
To:
> ymailto="mailto:thrift-user@incubator.apache.org"
> href="mailto:thrift-user@incubator.apache.org">thrift-user@incubator.apache.org

OK,
> I've seen 5 +1 votes, including 3 from committers (Mark, Jake, and
David),
> and no -1 votes. It would seem to me that the vote passes.

Do we need to
> get "official" votes from our mentors or anything, or can I
post
> it?

-Bryan

2010/5/25 Bjørn Borud <
> ymailto="mailto:bborud@gmail.com"
> href="mailto:bborud@gmail.com">bborud@gmail.com>

+1

Re: Fwd: Thrift 0.3.0 RC4

Posted by Joe Schaefer <jo...@yahoo.com>.
> OK, I've seen 5 +1 votes, including 3 from committers (Mark, Jake, and
> David), and no -1 votes. It would seem to me that the vote passes.

> Do we need to get "official" votes from our mentors or anything, or can I
> post it?

Bryan, take a look at

http://incubator.apache.org/guides/releasemanagement.html#glossary-release-manager

At this point you need to compose an email to general@incubator giving them
details about what you'd like the IPMC to vote on.  You need to obtain majority
consensus (3 +1's and more +1's than -1's) from the IPMC prior to release.

Re: Fwd: Thrift 0.3.0 RC4

Posted by Upayavira <uv...@odoko.co.uk>.
On Wed, 2010-06-09 at 07:52 -0700, Bryan Duxbury wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 9, 2010 at 12:13 AM, Upayavira <uv...@odoko.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > Bryan - thanks for doing this - it looks like it was a lot of work!
> >
> > I have looked through this to the best of my abilities - principally by
> > comparing against version 0.2.0.
> >
> > I apologise for my delay in doing so.
> >
> > Here's some things I notice:
> > * there are no release notes relating to this release in the NEWS
> >   file. In fact, the notes about 0.2.0 have gone. It seems that the
> >   0.2.0 release notes were generated from Jira, which makes sense.
> > * I presume these files have no license header because they are
> >   auto-generated?
> >     compiler/cpp/thriftl.cc
> >     compiler/cpp/thrifty.cc
> >     compiler/cpp/thrifty.h
> >     compiler/cpp/version.h.in
> >

> Correct - autogenerated.
>

> > * Again, these file lacks a header, but don't look autogenerated:
> >     lib/java/src/org/apache/thrift/transport: TMemoryInputTransport.java
> >     lib/java/test/org/apache/thrift/TestStruct.java
> >     lib/java/test/org/apache/thrift/TestTBaseHelper.java
> >     lib/java/test/org/apache/thrift/TestTUnion.java
> >
> > lib/java/test/org/apache/thrift/transport/TestTMemoryInputTransport.java
> >     lib/js/test/src/test/TestHandler.java
> >     lib/py/src/TSerialization.py
> >

> Yeah, I think these are erroneously unlicensed. I'll get that fixed. Is this
> enough to torpedo the release candidate?

Sorry for my delay once more. I'm afraid these are enough to derail this
RC. Can you tweak and roll another (and include sebb's concerns from
general@incubator too). Then I'll promise to be more responsive to your
next vote!

(feel free to alert me privately to the start of a vote in case I don't
notice it immediately on the dev list).

Upayavira

Re: Fwd: Thrift 0.3.0 RC4

Posted by Bryan Duxbury <br...@rapleaf.com>.

Re: Fwd: Thrift 0.3.0 RC4

Posted by Upayavira <uv...@odoko.co.uk>.

Re: Fwd: Thrift 0.3.0 RC4

Posted by David Reiss <dr...@facebook.com>.
>> "make dist" includes all generated code in
>> the release tarball so that users don't need the yacc or lex tools to build
>> Thrift.  thrift[ly].* are generated by yacc and lex.
>
> Did you have to teach make dist to do that or does the
> standard autotool chain do this for you?
Automake does it automatically for lex and yacc.  For other tools (like thrift ;-) ),
I think it will do it automatically if the generated source is listed as a source
file for some target.  I don't think you necessarily have to include them in
BUILT_SOURCES.

--David

Re: Fwd: Thrift 0.3.0 RC4

Posted by Joe Schaefer <jo...@yahoo.com>.
> The tarball is generated from "make dist" (after bootstrap
> and configure).

>> The key differences are the presence of
>> thrift*.cc and thrifty.h in
>> compiler/cpp,
>> The stuff in
>> compiler/cpp is probably the result of running make in
>> there and not
>> cleaning up those files somehow,

> "make dist" includes all generated code in
> the release tarball so that users don't need the yacc or lex tools to build
> Thrift.  thrift[ly].* are generated by yacc and lex.

Did you have to teach make dist to do that or does the
standard autotool chain do this for you?

>> and the
>> delta around client.sh in tutorial/erl.  but the
>
>> tutorial/erl/client.sh delta is even stranger.  It should probably
>> be
>> a symlink to tutorial/erl/server.sh but isn't for whatever
>> reason.

"make dist" resolves all symlinks.  We should really just
 eliminate the symlink from the repo since it adds needless
 complexity.

Thanks for the info.  Once I am able to validate the signature
I should be able to cast a +1 for release.

Re: Fwd: Thrift 0.3.0 RC4

Posted by David Reiss <dr...@facebook.com>.

Re: Fwd: Thrift 0.3.0 RC4

Posted by Joe Schaefer <jo...@yahoo.com>.
Here's what I found, with 0.3.0/ being checked out from the svn branch
and thrift-0.3.0/ being from the tarball:

% ~/src/apache/committers/tools/releases/compare_dirs.pl 0.3.0 thrift-0.3.0 .gitignore Makefile.in aclocal.m4 config.guess config.h config.hin config.sub configure depcomp install-sh ltmain.sh ylwrap missing ._Makefile.am thriftl.cc thrifty.cc thrifty.h 0.3.0/compiler/py 0.3.0/compiler/src Makefile ._Rakefile client.sh mkmf.log
No differences detected.
%

So the task remains to explain the skip list, most of which is the result
of running bootstrap.sh.  The key differences are the presence of
thrift*.cc and thrifty.h in compiler/cpp, and the delta around client.sh
in tutorial/erl.  The stuff in compiler/cpp is probably the result
of running make in there and not cleaning up those files somehow,
but the tutorial/erl/client.sh delta is even stranger.  It should probably
be a symlink to tutorial/erl/server.sh but isn't for whatever reason.

are several deltas with what's in the tarball
> versus
what's in svn and it'd help to understand where they
are coming
> from.

Thanks.

From: Bryan
Date: Tue, May 25,

> 2010 at 4:06 PM
>
> ymailto="mailto:
> href="mailto:thrift-user@incubator.apache.org">thrift-user@incubator.apache.org"
>
> href="mailto:
> href="mailto:thrift-user@incubator.apache.org">thrift-user@incubator.apache.org">
> ymailto="mailto:thrift-user@incubator.apache.org"
> href="mailto:thrift-user@incubator.apache.org">thrift-user@incubator.apache.org

OK,

> I've seen 5 +1 votes, including 3 from committers (Mark, Jake,
> and
David),
> and no -1 votes. It would seem to me that the vote
> passes.

Do we need to
> get "official" votes from our mentors or
> anything, or can I
post
> it?

-Bryan

2010/5/25 Bjørn

Re: Fwd: Thrift 0.3.0 RC4

Posted by Joe Schaefer <jo...@yahoo.com>.
Posted by Bryan Duxbury <br...@rapleaf.com>.
OK, I did this.

Re: Fwd: Thrift 0.3.0 RC4

Posted by Joe Schaefer <jo...@yahoo.com>.

Fwd: Thrift 0.3.0 RC4

Posted by Bryan Duxbury <br...@rapleaf.com>.

Re: Thrift 0.3.0 RC4

Posted by Bryan Duxbury <br...@rapleaf.com>.

Re: Thrift 0.3.0 RC4

Posted by Bjørn Borud <bb...@gmail.com>.
+1

--
Bjørn Borud <bb...@gmail.com>
+47 920 46465

Re: Thrift 0.3.0 RC4

Posted by Bryan Duxbury <br...@rapleaf.com>.

RE: Thrift 0.3.0 RC4

Posted by Mark Slee <ms...@facebook.com>.
Yeah, I'm a total noob on GPG as well. I think it's as simple as:
gpg --export > bduxbury.key

This enables others to do:
gpg --import bduxbury.key

You can see all the keys you have installed with:
gpg --list-keys

If you have many and just want to export one I think you can do:
gpg --export -a "Bryan Duxbury" > bduxbury.key

This is assuming the name on your key is "Bryan Duxbury" (this would be shown by --list-keys).

I always have trouble navigating gpg tutorial pages... there are so many options etc.

Um, I do not have it posted. How do I do that? (Public key newb...)

Re: Thrift 0.3.0 RC4

Posted by Bryan Duxbury <br...@rapleaf.com>.

RE: Thrift 0.3.0 RC4

Posted by Mark Slee <ms...@facebook.com>.