Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Johann Spies <js...@sun.ac.za> on 2005/06/27 12:41:04 UTC

Using subversion to backup servers

I am new to subversion and have a little experience in using CVS.

I want to use s subversion repository to backup important directories
of several linux servers e.g. etc.

I found that if I import /etc as it is, no /etc is created in the
repository.  So I copied /etc/ to a different place, created a parent
and imported it.  That worked.

Now my question:  How do I get the original /etc to be part of the
repository?  And for that matter other directories has / as their
immediate parent.  I want to be able to do a "commit" after e.g. an
'aptitude dist-upgrade' or after configuration changes in /etc without
first copying the whole tree to another place and do a commit from
there.

Regards
Johann

--
Johann Spies          Telefoon: 021-808 4036

     "For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ; for it
      is the power of God unto salvation to every one that
      believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek."
                             Romans 1:16

Re: Using subversion to backup servers

Posted by Johann Spies <js...@sun.ac.za>.
On Mon, Jun 27, 2005 at 01:24:00PM -0400, Gabor Szabo wrote:

> I think if you used the strategy outlined here
> http://subversion.tigris.org/faq.html#in-place-import
> to import /etc then it would be clearer bot the first import and then
> the commiting new version of the /etc directory to the repository.

Thanks Gabor and Aaron for your answers.  Somehow I missed this one in
the FAQ but that seems the way to go.

As a second choice Aaron's method also seems workable.

Regards
Johann
--
Johann Spies          Telefoon: 021-808 4036

     "The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he hath
      anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor; he hath
      sent me to heal the brokenhearted, to preach
      deliverance to the captives, and recovering of sight
      to the blind, to set at liberty them that are
      bruised..."         Luke 4:18

Vrywaring:  Jy hoef eintlik net die e-pos self te gelees het. :)
Disclaimer: If you are reading this you are wasting your time :)

Re: Using subversion to backup servers

Posted by Gabor Szabo <sz...@gmail.com>.
On 6/27/05, Johann Spies <js...@sun.ac.za> wrote:
> Now my question:  How do I get the original /etc to be part of the
> repository?  And for that matter other directories has / as their
> immediate parent.  I want to be able to do a "commit" after e.g. an
> 'aptitude dist-upgrade' or after configuration changes in /etc without
> first copying the whole tree to another place and do a commit from
> there.

I think if you used the strategy outlined here
http://subversion.tigris.org/faq.html#in-place-import
to import /etc then it would be clearer bot the first import and then
the commiting new version of the /etc directory to the repository.

... if I undertood you

Gabor