Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Andy Firman <an...@firman.us> on 2004/12/27 20:53:19 UTC

[users@httpd] upgrade question for a production Apache server

Pasted below is my install notes of Apache 1.3.31 with mod_ssl
on FreeBSD 4.10 stable.  Works great and very stable.

To upgrade to the latest Apache, I would download and untar
into /usr/local/src and perform the same steps below right?
(for both mod_ssl 2.8.22-1.3.33 and Apache 1.3.33)

What does one do if there is a compile problem and/or the
new apache server won't start?  Scary.

I guess my real question is what do you all do to upgrade
an existing production Apache server in a safe manner?

I am still not clear on what exactly happens when compiling
and how one would revert back to the old server if something breaks.

Thanks. -Andy

---------------INSTALL NOTES APACHE 1.3.31-------------------------------

cd /usr/local/src/mod_ssl-2.8.19-1.3.31

sudo ./configure --with-apache=../apache_1.3.31 --prefix=/usr/local/apache

sudo mkdir /usr/local/apache

cd /usr/local/src/apache_1.3.31

SSL_BASE=SYSTEM

sudo ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/apache --enable-module=ssl --enable-shared=ssl
--enable-module=rewrite --enable-module=mime_magic --enable-shared=mime_magic
--enable-module=so
--enable-module=vhost_alias --enable-shared=vhost_alias

sudo make

sudo make certificate
(test so just chose defaults)

sudo make install

sudo /usr/local/apache/bin/apachectl start

TEST and works so good so far

sudo /usr/local/apache/bin/apachectl stop

sudo /usr/local/apache/bin/apachectl startssl

TEST https and it works so done and good!

Re: [users@httpd] upgrade question for a production Apache server

Posted by Leif W <wa...@usa.net>.
> Adam Ossenford; 2004 December 27 Monday 16:18
>
>>> apache server, remove the install directory recursively, ex....
>>> rm -rf
>>> /usr/local/apache.  then run make install.  cp your

The only major thing I'd do different is mv, not rm.  Locate all the
Apache related files which could potentially be clobbered, and move
them.  It's much easier to move them back if needed then to not have
them at all, or try and reinstall from a package system and get a soup
of mixed versions in different locations.

Practice by using a separate install directory like
/usr/local/apache.test, and by using separate ports.  Try port 8080 or
anything you want.  At this point, you just want to test that any custom
modules you have still compile and at least load properly,
representative but simplified configurations, and run simple test
programs, if applicable.  You may want to have a minimalistic test suite
(config, pages, etc) to see if there are any major failures with simple
things.  This may not give any indication of more subtle bugs that pop
up in a more complex environment, but it will catch major problems.

If you have the luxury of a totally separate machine with the identical
OS and versions of all major software, and a recent copy of the website,
then you could try the test setup there, and then move to a live setup
on the test server.  Otherwise just do it all on a live server at 2am
when nobody will notice much, and figure everything out by 6am.  :-)
Call it a maintenance window.  It shouldn't take that long, maybe an
hour or two the first time at worst, but if you can't figure out any
problems with the new version by 5:45am (or designate a point of no
return with sufficient recovery time and hope the recovery doesn't
fail), move back the old stuff and research solutions to any problems
you encountered and try again later.

Leif

Re: [users@httpd] upgrade question for a production Apache server

Posted by Adam Ossenford <ad...@shomecom.com>.
Sorry, my directions were sketchy.... they only cover apache very roughly.
 if you are wanting to do an entire update you need more info

look at some of these sites

http://www.lamphowto.com/lamp.htm

http://www.tldp.org/linuxfocus/English/November2002/article270.shtml

http://megaz.arbuz.com/archives/2004/07/20/apache-howto/

some of these articles are outdated, but the theory is still the same.
You will probably have to take pieces from each tutorial to get to the
result you are looking for.

hope this helps

> On Mon, Dec 27, 2004 at 02:45:27PM -0600, Adam Ossenford wrote:
>> > I guess my real question is what do you all do to upgrade
>> > an existing production Apache server in a safe manner?
>>
>> try on a test server first.  also, make sure to back up your
>> /apache/conf
>> and /apache/libexec directories.  this will preserve your existing
>> httpd.conf mime.types and any other modules you compiled into your live
>> apache version.  then do your ./configure --all options that you want,
>> make, make certificate type=CUSTOM (if you sign your own).  stop your
>> apache server, remove the install directory recursively, ex.... rm -rf
>> /usr/local/apache.  then run make install.  cp your
>> /apache/conf/httpd.conf /apache/conf/mime.types back into your newly
>> installed apache directory, then cp over any additional modules you have
>> from /apache/libexec to /installdirectory/libexec/  and run
>> /installdirectory/bin/apachectl startssl
>
> Thanks.  I have a test server and will do the upgrade on it first.
> Your directions sound a bit risky, as I don't do this often.
> But I want to have the right documentation before I proceed.
> Just curious, how come there is no documentation on this here? :
> http://httpd.apache.org/docs/
>
> Now the install file has one instance of the word "upgrade":
>
>      Now its time to install the package under the configured installation
>      PREFIX (see --prefix option above) by running:
>
>         $ make install
>
>      For the paranoid hackers under us: The above command really installs
> under
>      prefix _only_, i.e. no other stuff from your system is touched. Even
> if
>      you upgrade an existing installation your configuration files in
>      PREFIX/etc/ are preserved.
>

> I am one of those super paranoid ones and I want to know more about
> this upgrade.  Since there is no real upgrade howto on apache.org
> nor in the INSTALL file, I am still looking for how people upgrade thier
> productions servers.   Since I don't do this very often, I want to
> be sure that I do it correctly.  So more comments welcome....
>
> Thanks again.  -Andy

Sincerely,

Adam Ossenford

Re: [users@httpd] upgrade question for a production Apache server

Posted by Ralf Glauberman <rg...@michaeli-gymnasium.de>.
when updating,
i first untar the new release, configure and make it with the same options
as i did the last time, the stop apache, copy all apache folders to
backup-directoys (but i never really needed them as nearly every error will
occur during configure or make), the do the make install simply over the old
setup and start apache again. has allways worked well for me.
ralf

Posted by Andy Firman <an...@firman.us>.

Posted by Adam Ossenford <ad...@shomecom.com>.

> I guess my real question is what do you all do to upgrade
> an existing production Apache server in a safe manner?

try on a test server first.  also, make sure to back up your /apache/conf
and /apache/libexec directories.  this will preserve your existing
httpd.conf mime.types and any other modules you compiled into your live
apache version.  then do your ./configure --all options that you want,
make, make certificate type=CUSTOM (if you sign your own).  stop your
apache server, remove the install directory recursively, ex.... rm -rf
/usr/local/apache.  then run make install.  cp your
/apache/conf/httpd.conf /apache/conf/mime.types back into your newly
installed apache directory, then cp over any additional modules you have
from /apache/libexec to /installdirectory/libexec/  and run
/installdirectory/bin/apachectl startssl

just my $0.02
--
Sincerely,

Adam Ossenford