Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Ja...@aol.com on 2002/07/04 16:49:21 UTC

Help needed on upgrade problem and garbled .so file

I think I am stuck between a rock and a ard place on trying to upgrade and
dix the chunk encoding bug.

Current server is RedHat 7.0 and has apache/1.3.12 with mod_sll and mod_php
These were pre installed as RPM.

(Ideally I would like a RPM with the bugfix which also has mod_ssl).

I am trying to fix the apache for the chunk encoding bug and am stuck.

Am trying 2 choices
1. Upgrade to 1.2.26
    Downloaded the sources and installed and configured with
./configure --prefix=/usr/local/apache \
                --enable-module=most \
                --enable-shared=max
make
make install

All seems OK apart from php and ssl
Installed php 4.1.2

./configure --with-mysql --with-apxs=/usr/local/apache/bin/apxs \
                --with-config-file=/usr/local/apache
make
make install
~
Seems ok until apache started when the following occurs
API module structure `php4_module' in file
/usr/local/apache/libexec/libphp4.so is
 garbled - perhaps this is not an Apache module DSO?
(Confusing as this installs ok with apache 1.3.12)

Even if I overcome this I still wont have mod_ssl and it reads as a bit of a
nightmare to install

2. I also looked at Redhat RPM 1.3.22
Again this does not have mod_ssl and if installed it would overwrite existing
programs and that scares me a lot.

Any suggestions or guidance would be appreciated.

Re: Help needed on upgrade problem and garbled .so file

Posted by Jeff Beard <je...@cyberxape.com>.
JawjB@aol.com wrote:
> I think I am stuck between a rock and a ard place on trying to upgrade and
> dix the chunk encoding bug.
>
> Current server is RedHat 7.0 and has apache/1.3.12 with mod_sll and mod_php
> These were pre installed as RPM.
>
> (Ideally I would like a RPM with the bugfix which also has mod_ssl).

It's my understanding that Redhat has provided this. Check
updates.redhat.com

> I am trying to fix the apache for the chunk encoding bug and am stuck.
>
> Am trying 2 choices
> 1. Upgrade to 1.2.26
>     Downloaded the sources and installed and configured with
> ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/apache \
>                 --enable-module=most \
>                 --enable-shared=max
> make
> make install
>
> All seems OK apart from php and ssl
> Installed php 4.1.2
>
> ./configure --with-mysql --with-apxs=/usr/local/apache/bin/apxs \
>                 --with-config-file=/usr/local/apache
> make
> make install

Check the list archives. There is a version of php that doesn't work as
a DSO for one of the versions of apache, IIRC.

> Seems ok until apache started when the following occurs
> API module structure `php4_module' in file
> /usr/local/apache/libexec/libphp4.so is
>  garbled - perhaps this is not an Apache module DSO?
> (Confusing as this installs ok with apache 1.3.12)
>
> Even if I overcome this I still wont have mod_ssl and it reads as a bit of a
> nightmare to install
>
> 2. I also looked at Redhat RPM 1.3.22
> Again this does not have mod_ssl and if installed it would overwrite existing
> programs and that scares me a lot.

The rpms with update the binary files and should leave your customized
files alone or make a backup of them. Additionally, if you installed
from source, rpm doesn't know anything about that and shouldn't mess
with it if it's all in /usr/local/apache.

--Jeff