Posted to dev@lenya.apache.org by Lon Boonen <lo...@wanadoo.nl> on 2003/09/17 23:42:22 UTC

Lenya violating Xopus OS License

Dear Lenya developers,

a month ago I e-mailed Michael to inform him the Lenya project is violating
the Xopus OS license by including Xopus without the license and additional
requirements made by that license.
Michael would look into it. I mailed him a couple more times, but he was
either too busy or abroad I guess.

So I'm turning towards you, the developer-community, now.

Attached you find the Xopus OS License. Please read it carefully.
We want you to either not include Xopus in Lenya or do it the proper way,
that is: obey the license. It's an Apache like license much like your own,
so it shouldn't be that hard.

We want you to apply either of these two solutions to all of your previous,
current and future distributions of Lenya.

Since developers may have downloaded Lenya and started to develop their own
code on top of Lenya/Xopus we also ask you to make a genuin effort to trace
any such developer and inform them about the problem and explain them how to
rectify it.

We're convinced the omission of the license and failure to meet its
requirements wasn't a malevolent act as we know many Lenya developers to be
really great guys (and even a dito gall).
So no hard feelings. Although, personally, I'm a bit disappointed in OS
development once again.

friendly greetings
Lon Boonen, Q42

Re: Lenya violating Xopus OS License

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.org>.
Lon Boonen wrote:

>Dear Lenya developers,
>
>a month ago I e-mailed Michael to inform him the Lenya project is violating
>the Xopus OS license by including Xopus without the license and additional
>requirements made by that license.

well, the main problem was that I forgot to include the License into the
snapshots. After your email
I immediately added it to the CVS version ("legal" directory)

>Michael would look into it. I mailed him a couple more times, but he was
>either too busy or abroad I guess.

both ;-)

I looked into it last week and added a task to the build process such
that the "legal" directory would
be copied into the snapshots. I did this but forgot to announce it.

May bad I didn't really check if it works properly. I does kind of work:
If you download the binary snapshots
from

http://cvs.wyona.org/nightly-builds/

and unpack them, then you will see that the legal directory is within
the war file "lenya.war"

"Open Source" doesn't tell one where the license needs to be located, or
does it? I am not sure about this to be honest ;-)
Well, anyway it's there since last week.

Well,  in the case of the source snapshot it doesn't seem to work, which
is strange, but I will fix it.

I will also move the "legal" directory out of the war file and place it
beside the README and other files.

Ok?

Thanks

Michael

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.org>.
Christian Stocker wrote:

> Hi again

>>> Yes, we will include all references, as you have already read. Are
>>> you writing us because there is something else that you feel should
>>> be done other than what has just been already said?
>>

> If you lay out the license in a strict sense, the phrase "This product
> includes software developed by Bitflux GmbH (http://www.bitflux.ch)"
> should appear on the front-page. Wysiwyg XML Editing is mentioned
> there as one of the main features of Lenya.
>
> Furthermore, I think just mentioning Q42 and Bitflux at the end of the
> acknowledgements page isn't proper attribution. It could be a little
> bit more prominent.
>
> But we are certainly open to discuss this issue.
>
> As a side note: Wyona itself (which is not lenya, i know, but back
> then lenya didn't exist) agreed to this license and is still in the
> board of bitfluxeditor.org.

yes, I am part of bitfluxeditor.org, but not Bitflux GmbH, so why does
the license say Bitflux GmbH?
Did we get screwed or was I just stupid?

We don't really have to discuss this here, because it has nothing to
with Lenya and the ASF.

Thanks

Michael

Posted by Christian Stocker <ch...@bitflux.ch>.

On 9/18/03 11:46 AM, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> On Thursday, Sep 18, 2003, at 11:28 Europe/Rome, Christian Stocker wrote:
>
>> Hi again

>> If you lay out the license in a strict sense, the phrase "This product
>> includes software developed by Bitflux GmbH (http://www.bitflux.ch)"
>> should appear on the front-page. Wysiwyg XML Editing is mentioned
>> there as one of the main features of Lenya.
>>
>> Furthermore, I think just mentioning Q42 and Bitflux at the end of the
>> acknowledgements page isn't proper attribution. It could be a little
>> bit more prominent.
>>
>> But we are certainly open to discuss this issue.
>

> Internet Explorer contains code from NCSA Mosaic which was released in a
> BSD license which contains the exact same clause as above.
>
> They do comply to that license.
>
> Challenge for you: find it.

Easy task: In the about box...

It even says it on the splash screen. something about "for copyright
information look in the about box". at least on my mac. So, it's a
2-click scenario... There is an about box in the lenya admin, which just
points to the webpage. Why not just make that a little bit more
"compliant" to standard "about boxes"?

And as I said, it's just a proposal by us and we're open to discussion.

If you define "advertising material mentioning features" equals "the
whole lenya webpage" and "must display" as "somewhere on this site",
then you're right.

For me, it's just about giving proper attribution to other open source
projects and not to piss someone off just out of the blue and for the
sake of it ;)

And we're still a open source project and will stay that way.

chregu

Re: Lenya violating Xopus OS License

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
wrote:

> Hi again

>>> Yes, we will include all references, as you have already read. Are
>>> you writing us because there is something else that you feel should
>>> be done other than what has just been already said?
>
> If you lay out the license in a strict sense, the phrase "This product
> includes software developed by Bitflux GmbH (http://www.bitflux.ch)"
> should appear on the front-page. Wysiwyg XML Editing is mentioned
> there as one of the main features of Lenya.
>
> Furthermore, I think just mentioning Q42 and Bitflux at the end of the
> acknowledgements page isn't proper attribution. It could be a little
> bit more prominent.
>
> But we are certainly open to discuss this issue.

Internet Explorer contains code from NCSA Mosaic which was released in
a BSD license which contains the exact same clause as above.

They do comply to that license.

Challenge for you: find it.

The above says what it says. It says that "must display the following",
but does *NOT* specifiy where or how prominent the location might be.

--
Stefano.

Re: Lenya violating Xopus OS License

Posted by Christian Stocker <ch...@bitflux.ch>.
Hi again

Posted by Christian Stocker <ch...@bitflux.ch>.

On 9/18/03 9:39 AM, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

> Christian Stocker wrote:
>
>> Hi All
>

> <snippped unnecessary sarcasm>
>
>> Bitflux Editor has almost exact the same license as Xopus. And Michael
>> and Felix do know that, since we (Bitflux and Q42) have informed them
>> together.
>>
>> We (speaking now only for Bitflux) didn't contact the list directly,
>> 'cause we know Michael and the Wyona Crew personally and liked to
>> handle that in a low key manner.
>

> Michael and the Wyona Crew, while being the most important part of it,
> do not represent Apache Cocoon Lenya. In the future, please send your
> requests to the lenya dev list or, if it's important, to the pertinent
> project management commitee, in this case both pmc@incubator.apache.org
> and pmc@cocoon.apache.org

Ok, if you whish so.

As I said, I informed just Michael, because we thought it's not a big
deal and easily fixable. Contacting lenya-dev or pmc was always planned
as the next step. But we will follow the whished procedure in the future.

> In the future, please do not hesitate to point out what you regard is
> missing, on the above mentioned lists.
>
>> Furthermore, Bitflux Editor uses the Apache 1.0 License as their base
>> (http://bitfluxeditor.org/home/license/) and it states:
>>
>> ***
>> 3. All advertising materials mentioning features or
>> use of this software must display the following
>> acknowledgment: "This product includes software
>> developed by Bitflux GmbH (http://www.bitflux.ch)"
>> ***
>

> That licence is called "The Apache Software License", which is
> incorrect, as it does not have anything to do with Apache.
>
> Please correct this mistake from your side.

Completely agree with you on that point. It's removed.

>> Now we can argue, where exactly this phrase should be written, just in

> Yes, we will include all references, as you have already read. Are you
> writing us because there is something else that you feel should be done
> other than what has just been already said?

I'll come back to that later this day.

>> Last but not least a minor note:
>>
>> It's called "Bitflux Editor" and not "BitfluxEditor" (in your license)
>

> We'll fix that typo.

thanks

chregu

--
christian stocker | Bitflux GmbH | schoeneggstrasse 5 | ch-8004 zurich
phone +41 1 240 56 70 | mobile +41 76 561 88 60  | fax +41 1 240 56 71

Re: Lenya violating Xopus OS License

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
Christian Stocker wrote:

> Hi All

<snippped unnecessary sarcasm>

> Bitflux Editor has almost exact the same license as Xopus. And Michael
> and Felix do know that, since we (Bitflux and Q42) have informed them
> together.
>
> We (speaking now only for Bitflux) didn't contact the list directly,
> 'cause we know Michael and the Wyona Crew personally and liked to handle
> that in a low key manner.

Michael and the Wyona Crew, while being the most important part of it,
do not represent Apache Cocoon Lenya. In the future, please send your
requests to the lenya dev list or, if it's important, to the pertinent
project management commitee, in this case both pmc@incubator.apache.org
and pmc@cocoon.apache.org

In the future, please do not hesitate to point out what you regard is
missing, on the above mentioned lists.

> Furthermore, Bitflux Editor uses the Apache 1.0 License as their base
> (http://bitfluxeditor.org/home/license/) and it states:
>
> ***
> 3. All advertising materials mentioning features or
> use of this software must display the following
> acknowledgment: "This product includes software
> developed by Bitflux GmbH (http://www.bitflux.ch)"
> ***

That licence is called "The Apache Software License", which is
incorrect, as it does not have anything to do with Apache.

Please correct this mistake from your side.

> Now we can argue, where exactly this phrase should be written, just in
> the License is certainly not enough. IMHO.

Yes, we will include all references, as you have already read. Are you
writing us because there is something else that you feel should be done
other than what has just been already said?

> Last but not least a minor note:
>
> It's called "Bitflux Editor" and not "BitfluxEditor" (in your license)

We'll fix that typo.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -

Re: Lenya violating Xopus OS License

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.

Posted by Andreas Kuckartz <A....@ping.de>.
Christian Stocker wrote:

> We (speaking now only for Bitflux) didn't contact the list directly,
> 'cause we know Michael and the Wyona Crew personally and liked to handle
> that in a low key manner.

I appreciate such an attitude. But this is not about Wyona but Apache Lenya
and therefore the Lenya community should know about such issues.

Cheers,
Andreas

Re: Lenya violating Xopus OS License

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.org>.
Christian Stocker wrote:

> Hi All
>
> If you guys clean up the legal "mess", why don't you do it properly? ;)
>
> Bitflux Editor has almost exact the same license as Xopus. And Michael
> and Felix do know that, since we (Bitflux and Q42) have informed them
> together.
>
> We (speaking now only for Bitflux) didn't contact the list directly,
> 'cause we know Michael and the Wyona Crew personally and liked to
> handle that in a low key manner.
>
> Furthermore, Bitflux Editor uses the Apache 1.0 License as their base
> (http://bitfluxeditor.org/home/license/) and it states:
>
> ***
> 3. All advertising materials mentioning features or
> use of this software must display the following
> acknowledgment: "This product includes software
> developed by Bitflux GmbH (http://www.bitflux.ch)"
> ***

unfortunately I didn't read the license well enough during signing the
contract, because the condition
was to host it and transfer the copyright to an independent
organization, at this time bitfluxeditor.org, which
is supposed to be an independent non-profit organization, which has
nothing  to do with Bitflux GmbH.
Well, shit happens I guess or maybe we just have to reread the contract
and start banging our heads.

Thanks

Michael

> Now we can argue, where exactly this phrase should be written, just in
> the License is certainly not enough. IMHO.
>
> Last but not least a minor note:
>
> It's called "Bitflux Editor" and not "BitfluxEditor" (in your license)
>
> chregu
>

> On 9/18/03 8:19 AM, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
>
>> Michael Wechner wrote:

>>> <snip />

>>> Even if it's not necessary I think the other included projects
>>> should also be listed on the Credits page:
>>>
>>> w3c
>>> dom4j
>>> bitfluxeditor
>>> websphinx

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.

Posted by Christian Stocker <ch...@bitflux.ch>.
Hi All

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
Michael Wechner wrote:
> Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
>
>> Lon Boonen wrote:
>
> <snip />
>
>> The site already contains the license with, at the bottom, proper
>> credit to xopus (http://cocoon.apache.org/lenya/project/license.html)
>>
>> The only thing on the site that is different is the exact wording of
>> the credit. Although not strictly necessary, as the license is in CVS,
>> I have added a credits section to this page too:
>> http://cocoon.apache.org/lenya/project/acknowledgements.html
>
> Even if it's not necessary I think the other included projects should
> also be listed on the Credits page:
>
> w3c
> dom4j
> bitfluxeditor
> websphinx
> apache (itself)

Sure, add them in.

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.org>.
Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

> Lon Boonen wrote:

<snip />

> The site already contains the license with, at the bottom, proper
> credit to xopus (http://cocoon.apache.org/lenya/project/license.html)
>
> The only thing on the site that is different is the exact wording of
> the credit. Although not strictly necessary, as the license is in CVS,
> I have added a credits section to this page too:
> http://cocoon.apache.org/lenya/project/acknowledgements.html

Even if it's not necessary I think the other included projects should
also be listed on the Credits page:

w3c
dom4j
bitfluxeditor
websphinx
apache (itself)

> Lenya Committers: please correct the site sources accordingly, as I
>                   have changed the live site.

ok

>> It's an Apache like license much like your own,
>> so it shouldn't be that hard.
>>
>> We want you to apply either of these two solutions to all of your
>> previous,
>> current and future distributions of Lenya.
>

> Unfortunately, it appears that these gzs in fact lack the /legal
> directory present in CVS, and also the Apache license. This has not
> been intentional of course, and due to a bug in the build script.
>
> Lenya Committers: please correct the build scripts accordingly and add
>                   the Apache license to the legal directory as in
>                   http://www.apache.org/dist/cocoon/lenya/legal/
>
> The distributions you refer to were not "stable" distributions but
> only milestones, as Lenya has not yet been released.
>
> I have thus deleted all previous milestones that were under
> http://www.apache.org/dist/cocoon/lenya/ and under
> http://www.apache.org/dist/cocoon/lenya/SOURCES/
>
>> Since developers may have downloaded Lenya and started to develop
>> their own
>> code on top of Lenya/Xopus we also ask you to make a genuin effort to
>> trace
>> any such developer and inform them about the problem and explain them
>> how to
>> rectify it.
>

> To remove any possible issue, I have already removed the references to
> gz downloads.

I have removed the current snapshots:

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
Lon Boonen wrote:
> Dear Lenya developers,
>
> a month ago I e-mailed Michael to inform him the Lenya project is violating
> the Xopus OS license by including Xopus without the license and additional
> requirements made by that license.
 >
> Michael would look into it. I mailed him a couple more times, but he was
> either too busy or abroad I guess.

Michael, even if highly respected and influential on the project, does
not represent Apache Cocoon Lenya. In the future, please send your
requests to the lenya dev list or, if it's important, to the pertinent
project management commitee, in this case both pmc@incubator.apache.org
and pmc@cocoon.apache.org

> So I'm turning towards you, the developer-community, now.
>
> Attached you find the Xopus OS License. Please read it carefully.
> We want you to either not include Xopus in Lenya or do it the proper way,
> that is: obey the license.

That is what we want to do, and what we are doing.

The cocoon-lenya CVS already contains the xopus license in the /legal
directory.