Posted to user@poi.apache.org by Shivkumar <m....@gmail.com> on 2011/02/14 06:53:32 UTC

BigGridDemo error

Dear All,

i am using the BigGridDemo example for export to excel and i continuously
getting following error

Replaced Part: /xl/worksheets/sheet1.xml part with XML error.  Illegal xml
character. Line 36197, column 199.

Yes i alread replaced following chars
<  to (
>  to )
&  to AND
/   to ,
\   to ,

but still get the same error with different line and column.

how can i find which char is the problem?

Can i get the list of illegal chars

Thanks In Advance

Shivkumar

Re: BigGridDemo error

Posted by Mark Beardsley <ma...@tiscali.co.uk>.
Propably the reference is here -
http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/REC-xml11-20040204/#NT-Char - but, if you are like
me, that information is at times is a little more than cryptic. This is a
quite noce piece of code that you could run your data through to check for
invalid characters before adding it to the workbook -
http://balajiramesh.wordpress.com/2008/05/30/strip-illegal-xml-characters-based-on-w3c-standard/.
Furthermore, have a search using Google or similar to see if there is a
better formatted list on the internet. This error is to do with the xml
mark-up and not directly with BigGridDemo so you can widen your serach for
information IMO.

Finally, to find out what is wrong, I would do this;

1. Copy the workbook and rename that copy with a .zip extension.
2. Unzip the file into a folder and then locate the sheet1.xml file - you
know where it is from the error message.
3. Open this file using a good xml editor. I use Microsoft's editor that
opens the file as an Internet Explorer window and will highlight the error,
or errors, for me.

Cannot promise it will work for you but it should.

Yours

Mark B

Re: BigGridDemo error

Posted by David Fisher <df...@jmlafferty.com>.
> Dear All,
>
> i am using the BigGridDemo example for export to excel and i continuously
> getting following error
>
> Replaced Part: /xl/worksheets/sheet1.xml part with XML error.  Illegal xml
> character. Line 36197, column 199.
>
> Yes i alread replaced following chars
> <  to (
>> to )
> &  to AND
> /   to ,
> \   to ,

Why do you do this? Replacing & and \ could be a significant problem. These are escape characters.

Regards,
Dave