Posted to dev@allura.apache.org by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com> on 2014/04/14 18:11:29 UTC

Logo

While it's not a requirement for us to have a logo, it would be very
nice. Anybody got any thoughts regarding what we might do for a logo, or
the skills to make one?

I was thinking that some imagery around the idea of a forge might work,
although I know that SourceForge did that years ago.

--Rich

http://apachecon.com/ - @apachecon

Re: Logo

Posted by Nicholas Bollweg <ni...@gmail.com>.
Also, here is the SVG source, etc:
https://sourceforge.net/u/bollwyvl/allura-logo/ci/master/tree/

Re: Logo

Posted by Nicholas Bollweg <ni...@gmail.com>.
http://imgur.com/tE1oKLf

This brings back the brighter molecule bond colors. Still has the "a",
which has its lines back.

Re: Logo

Posted by Nicholas Bollweg <ni...@gmail.com>.
@dave:
i like the gem (also without the lightning bolt). maybe that, but with a
more apache-like color scheme?
are you against any type as part of the logo, period, or just that "a"?
seems like a branding package that included some typography style guidance,
in addition to the logo, might be really good to think about at this point.

@jan:
thanks for the feedback! i'll see if i can pull out some of the features
you liked about the first one.

no feedback yet from my designer on round 2: i originally asked him because
he had done a treatment of the old "brain circuit board" that was kinda
novel, and my initial inclination was more circuit board/gitk-like and less
ball-and-stick... also played with the yellow being "hot molten metal"
pouring into the "a".

his feedback on the original design was:
- the "a" was the only element that would make it through all of the sizes
(down to 16x16), yet still reveal interesting things at larger dimensions
- the full molecule was too busy, even at large size

i thought showing fewer, and more subtle, bonds, and pulling the "rainbow"
would tighten things up... i'll give it another go-round once i get more
critique. maybe if i tick him off by bothering him too much, he'll just
take a stab at fixing it :)

cheers
nick

Re: Logo

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.
On 04/14/2014 05:51 PM, Dave Brondsema wrote:

> Over a year ago, SourceForge had a designer work on some ideas for an Allura
> logo, although we never followed through to share it with the community and have
> this discussion.  Here are links to the two results of that.  Favicon size and
> original .ai and .psd files are available too.
>
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/rbme3ucebcstl9t/256.png
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/138245rolts1ozx/allura-256.png

This logo always reminded me of ... something. I forget what. It has
very strong echoes of another existing logo.

> They are fairly abstract.  I think the one without the lightning bolt is nice,
> but I'm not particularly attached to it.
>
> Regarding anvils, I am not real excited about that concept.  "Forge" seems like
> a bit of a dated term, not just for physical forges but software forges too.  I
> normally describe Allura as project hosting, not a forge.

I like the term "community hosting", or possibly "software community
hosting", for whatever that's worth.

> I like the ideas & designs Nick proposed.  The connectedness of molecules is a
> nice idea.  I don't know about having the letter 'a' in the logo though.

Yeah, I like the concept. Of course, my opinion on specific design
matters should always be taken with a grain of salt.

http://apachecon.com/ - @apachecon

Re: Logo

Posted by Dave Brondsema <da...@brondsema.net>.

--
Dave Brondsema : dave@brondsema.net
http://www.brondsema.net : personal

Re: Logo

Posted by jan i <ja...@apache.org>.
On 14 April 2014 22:04, Nicholas Bollweg <ni...@gmail.com> wrote:

> So much hammer and anvil... a bit 17th century, no?
>
> Several other more modern forging techniques are out there: drop, press,
> upset, roll, net-shape, induction, etc (not doing the full wiki walk, but
> some of them look cool). For example, roll forging is cool, as it involves
> a series of different tools that alter the metal moving through it before
> it is finished:
> http://www.custompartnet.com/wu/images/sheet-metal/roll-forming.png
>
> In regards to the feather: how about something that uses the foundation's
> color scheme a bit more subtly, and pulls in some additional more modern
> elements:
>
> http://imgur.com/ITtyVG3,kA1rwlZ
> (just whipped it up, not super excited about)
>
> the font is anonymous pro, which is coder-centric and open source (OFL):
> http://www.marksimonson.com/fonts/view/anonymous-pro
>
> the chemical compound is Allura Red :)
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Allura_Red_AC_ball-and-stick.png
>
> I kinda like the concept of a chemical compound as a metaphor, as it
> suggests that it (i.e. a forge running allura) is made of smaller things
> (atoms) (i.e. projects and neighborhoods) which are in turn made of even
> smaller things (i.e. code, wikis, etc.). Also, the diagram is kinda like
> the gitk diagrams (or whoever gitk appropriated it from), though if your
> commit history looked like that, you'd probably be in for trouble :(

It also suggest communities and cooperation I like it.

jan i

Re: Logo

Posted by jan i <ja...@apache.org>.
On 14 April 2014 23:10, Nicholas Bollweg <ni...@gmail.com> wrote:

> updated, based on some designer feedback:
> http://imgur.com/7P2104K

I dont like that.The other had slim lines (simplicity) and strong colors
(vivid)

rgds
jan i

Re: Logo

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.
Very nice.

I like the larger one, too - perhaps as part of website design?

--Rich

Re: Logo

Posted by Nicholas Bollweg <ni...@gmail.com>.

Re: Logo

Posted by Nicholas Bollweg <ni...@gmail.com>.

Re: Logo

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.
On 04/14/2014 04:04 PM, Nicholas Bollweg wrote:
> So much hammer and anvil... a bit 17th century, no?
>
> Several other more modern forging techniques are out there: drop, press,
> upset, roll, net-shape, induction, etc (not doing the full wiki walk, but
> some of them look cool). For example, roll forging is cool, as it involves
> a series of different tools that alter the metal moving through it before
> it is finished:
> http://www.custompartnet.com/wu/images/sheet-metal/roll-forming.png
>
> In regards to the feather: how about something that uses the foundation's
> color scheme a bit more subtly, and pulls in some additional more modern
> elements:
>
> http://imgur.com/ITtyVG3,kA1rwlZ
> (just whipped it up, not super excited about)

Is this the right URL? I just see the word Allura, but later you refer
to a chemical compound as being part of the logo, and I'm not seeing
that yet.

--Rich

Re: Logo

Posted by Nicholas Bollweg <ni...@gmail.com>.