Posted to dev@kafka.apache.org by John Roesler <jo...@confluent.io> on 2019/10/17 19:06:46 UTC

Re: [VOTE] - KIP-213 (new vote) - Simplified and revised.

Hello all,

While writing some new test cases for foreign key joins (as accepted
in KIP-213), I realized that there was an oversight in the review
process: we only proposed to add join methods that take a Materialized
parameter.

This poses an unnecessary burden on users who don't _need_ to
materialize the join result, which could be quite a lot of state and
changelog topic data.

I filed https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/KAFKA-9058 and then
https://github.com/apache/kafka/pull/7541 to fix it. I've updated the
KIP page accordingly as well.

This change consists solely of adding the missing method overloads,
and doesn't change the behavior or semantics of the operation at all.

Thanks,
-John

Re: [VOTE] - KIP-213 (new vote) - Simplified and revised.

Posted by Guozhang Wang <wa...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for the catch John, the JIRA description looks good!

--
-- Guozhang

Re: [VOTE] - KIP-213 (new vote) - Simplified and revised.

Posted by "Matthias J. Sax" <ma...@confluent.io>.
Thanks John!

Posted by Adam Bellemare <ad...@gmail.com>.