Posted to dev@groovy.apache.org by Paul King <pa...@asert.com.au> on 2018/05/20 03:58:26 UTC

[DISCUSS] Renumber Groovy 2.6 to 2.9

Hi,

I was wondering what people thought about renumbering Groovy 2.6 to 2.9.
It is only a subtle change but I think better conveys that it isn't a small
step up
from 2.5 but rather something just a bit short of 3.

Thoughts?

Cheers, Paul.

Re: [DISCUSS] Renumber Groovy 2.6 to 2.9

Posted by "Daniel.Sun" <su...@apache.org>.
> If it is to be the last 2.X release why not 2.99 to make it more "in your
face"?

2.9, i.e. your proposed 2.99 could not be bug free.
When we need to release a bug fixing version, what version number should we
use?  2.991? ;-)

Cheers,
Daniel.Sun

Re: [DISCUSS] Renumber Groovy 2.6 to 2.9

Posted by mg <mg...@arscreat.com>.
What about 2.97 ? Incorporates a JDK 7 reference, and is not too close to 3.0 (Bugfixes could go into 2.97.1 etc..., so the "7" could be kept).
-------- Ursprüngliche Nachricht --------Von: Russel Winder <ru...@winder.org.uk> Datum: 20.05.18  12:26  (GMT+01:00) An: paulk@asert.com.au, dev@groovy.apache.org Betreff: Re: [DISCUSS] Renumber Groovy 2.6 to 2.9

--
Russel.
Dr Russel Winder      t: +44 20 7585 2200

Re: [DISCUSS] Renumber Groovy 2.6 to 2.9

Posted by Russel Winder <ru...@winder.org.uk>.

Posted by Remko Popma <re...@gmail.com>.
+1
Makes sense.

Remko

Posted by Keegan Witt <ke...@gmail.com>.
I don't have strong feelings on it, but I think I'd lean against it since
we've already released artifacts under the 2.6 banner.

   1. It can be confusing when looking in somewhere like Maven Central that
   the already released 2.6 artifacts are in the same line as 2.9 (one might
   conclude without reading this thread that the 2.6 line was abandoned).
   2. If can affect other tooling that's already supporting 2.6, such as
   docker-groovy <https://hub.docker.com/_/groovy/>.  If I'm using 2.6-jdk8
   as a base for my images, I'll have to change to 2.9-jdk8 to continue
   getting the latest base (or I guess I'll have to keep tagging all future
   2.9s also as 2.6 just in case someone was doing that).

Posted by Jochen Theodorou <bl...@gmx.org>.
On 21.05.2018 17:32, Guillaume Laforge wrote:
> In the past, we've had some version changes like these in the past, at
> least once or twice.
> It's a bit weird but not that confusing, and ultimately users don't care
> all that much, and usually even forget about it :-)

not long ago I have been asked what happened to Groovy 1.9 ;)

> That said, I don't have a strong opinion.
> To Russel's points, we might save us some time by just focusing on
> updates of 2.5 and 3.0, rather than the current 4 branches maintained.
> Even if 2.6(9) and 3.0 are close, it's not critical if the numbers are
> close too.
> So I'd tend to not even bother with renumbering at all.
> But frankly, I don't mind :-)

I think it is better to keep 2.6

bye Jochen

Re: [DISCUSS] Renumber Groovy 2.6 to 2.9

Posted by Guillaume Laforge <gl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Milles, Eric (TR Technology & Ops)" <er...@thomsonreuters.com>.
I'm not sure if this has been stated as I have not had a chance to read this thread in the last couple days, but here's my 2 cents:

I would stick with 2.6 as it has already been setup for builds, discussed in conferences and can be seen on the groovy-lang downloads page w/ release notes.  I find that 2.6 follows semantic versioning just fine and should there be any need, 2.7 could be created (but probably won't).

If you main thrust is 3.0, then try to push 2.6 out as soon after 2.5 is GA as can be achieved.  I find value in 2.6 as it gives a chance to step into Parrot but not JDK8 or breaking changes.

________________________________
Von: Thibault Kruse <ti...@googlemail.com>>
Datum: 22.05.18 06:31 (GMT+01:00)
An: dev@groovy.apache.org<ma...@groovy.apache.org>, paulk@asert.com.au<ma...@asert.com.au>
Betreff: Re: [DISCUSS] Renumber Groovy 2.6 to 2.9

If you go with 2.9 now, and for unforseeable reasons the 2.x branch
continues, you will have 2.6, 2.7, 2.8 and then the prematurely added
2.9.
What would you think about any other project versioning like that?
Even with a given explanation, it looks weird and chaotic.

Posted by Paul King <pa...@asert.com.au>.

On Tue, May 22, 2018 at 5:51 PM, Paolo Di Tommaso <paolo.ditommaso@gmail.com

Posted by Paolo Di Tommaso <pa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Cédric Champeau <ce...@gmail.com>.

Posted by mg <mg...@arscreat.com>.
Good point.

-------- Ursprüngliche Nachricht --------Von: Thibault Kruse <ti...@googlemail.com> Datum: 22.05.18  06:31  (GMT+01:00) An: dev@groovy.apache.org, paulk@asert.com.au Betreff: Re: [DISCUSS] Renumber Groovy 2.6 to 2.9

Posted by Thibault Kruse <ti...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Paul King <pa...@asert.com.au>.

Posted by John Wagenleitner <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Paul King <pa...@asert.com.au>.
The release notes (not really the "vision") are here:
http://groovy-lang.org/releasenotes/groovy-2.6.html
It needs a few updates.

The vision is simply Groovy 3 back-ported to JDK7 minus the bits that don't
backport easily (so explicitly no retro lambdas or anything like that).
It's just to help make life better and ease porting for anyone still stuck
on JDK7. We don't have the resources though to keep maintaining
that branch, so the idea is to get it out and then let it be maintained by
interested contributors.

So, the Parrot parser is there but not enabled by default.
Currently I think the main things we haven't tried to bring back is the
current native lambda implementation
and I think perhaps one of the new caching classes.

Cheers, Paul.

Posted by Remko Popma <re...@gmail.com>.