Posted to dev@hbase.apache.org by Nick Dimiduk <nd...@apache.org> on 2016/03/17 06:13:50 UTC

[VOTE] First release candidate for HBase 1.1.4 (RC0) is available

I'm happy to announce the first release candidate of HBase 1.1.4 (HBase-1.1.
4RC0) is available for download at
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/hbase/hbase-1.1.4RC0/

Maven artifacts are also available in the staging repository
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachehbase-1131/

Artifacts are signed with my code signing subkey 0xAD9039071C3489BD,
available in the Apache keys directory
https://people.apache.org/keys/committer/ndimiduk.asc

There's also a signed tag for this release at
https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=hbase.git;a=tag;h=70a38529e6d9b24d4b0ab9937b86d0623d037c12

The detailed source and binary compatibility report vs 1.1.3 has been
published for your review, at
*http://home.apache.org/~ndimiduk/1.1.3_1.1.4RC0_compat_report.html
<http://home.apache.org/~ndimiduk/1.1.3_1.1.4RC0_compat_report.html>*

HBase 1.1.4 is the fourth patch release in the HBase 1.1 line, continuing
on the theme of bringing a stable, reliable database to the Hadoop and
NoSQL communities. This release includes over 40 bug fixes since the 1.1.3
release. Notable correctness fixes
include HBASE-15100, HBASE-15218, HBASE-15252, HBASE-15198,
HBASE-15214, HBASE-15221, HBASE-15322, HBASE-15378,
and HBASE-15430.

The full list of fixes included in this release is available at
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=12310753&version=12333671
 and in the CHANGES.txt file included in the distribution.

Please try out this candidate and vote +/-1 by 23:59 Pacific time on
Sunday, 2016-03-20 as to whether we should release these artifacts as HBase
1.1.4.

Thanks,
Nick

Re: [VOTE] First release candidate for HBase 1.1.4 (RC0) is available

Posted by Sean Busbey <bu...@apache.org>.
+1

* checked signatures / sums[1]
* spot checked LICENSE/NOTICE
* spot checked file header compliance using apache-rat plugin on clean
source unpack
* build from source[2]
* source matches commit 14c0e77956f9bb4c6edf0378474264843e4a82c3
(which the signed tag pointed to when I checked)

[1]: ASF policy requires that each file hosted in the project dist
space have a file with _just_ the MD5 sum in a file named after the
original with ".md5" as a suffix. (Having an additional file with all
the checksums is a good practice, IMO.) AFAICT we haven't been doing
this in the 0.98, 1.0, or 1.1 lines, so I don't want to hold up this
vote for it. I think we can just fix in the future and retroactively
make appropriate files for old releases from the MD5 contained in the
mds files.

relevant policy:
http://www.apache.org/dev/release-distribution.html#sigs-and-sums

[2]: I couldn't get a clean `mvn verify` run, but all the test
failures look like environment/timing issues, so I'm not concerned.

Posted by Nick Dimiduk <nd...@apache.org>.
No problem Andrew. Let's extend this VOTE period out to 23:59 on
Wedesday, March 23.

Posted by Andrew Purtell <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Nick Dimiduk <nd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Enis Söztutar <en...@apache.org>.
+1.

checked sigs, crcs,
directory layouts,
start local mode,
ran smoke tests from shell
Ran LTT
built and tested hbase-downstreamer from maven artifacts
browsed docs, javadocs, etc
inspected compat report
built src artifacts with hadoop-2.3.0 to 2.7.1

Enis

Posted by Enis Söztutar <en...@apache.org>.

Posted by Nick Dimiduk <nd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Nick Dimiduk <nd...@apache.org>.
For my own review:

Posted by Jean-Marc Spaggiari <je...@spaggiari.org>.
Checked the signatures => Passed
Looked at different random text and documentation files => Passed
RAT => Passed
Test suite => Failed. Have not been able to get a full success one. But
will retry. I think it's because of my environment.
Tried puts, gets, flushs, alters, etc. => All passed.

+1 for me so far. I will try to run the test suite again if I have time,
but last run crashed after 3 hours. So not sure.

The only thing is that after the test suite crashed I had those processes
hanging on my session...

jmspagg+ 31863     1  0 15:37 ?        00:00:00 /bin/bash -c
/usr/java/jdk1.7.0_75//bin/java
-Dlog4j.configuration=container-log4j.properties
-Dyarn.app.container.log.dir=/stock/hbase-test/hbase-1.1.4-src/hbase-server/target/MiniMRCluster_2057692392/MiniMRCluster_2057692392-logDir-nm-0_2/application_1458761812937_0001/container_1458761812937_0001_01_000001
-Dyarn.app.container.log.filesize=0 -Dhadoop.root.logger=INFO,CLA
-Xmx1024m org.apache.hadoop.mapreduce.v2.app.MRAppMaster
1>/stock/hbase-test/hbase-1.1.4-src/hbase-server/target/MiniMRCluster_2057692392/MiniMRCluster_2057692392-logDir-nm-0_2/application_1458761812937_0001/container_1458761812937_0001_01_000001/stdout
2>/stock/hbase-test/hbase-1.1.4-src/hbase-server/target/MiniMRCluster_2057692392/MiniMRCluster_2057692392-logDir-nm-0_2/application_1458761812937_0001/container_1458761812937_0001_01_000001/stderr

jmspagg+ 31895 31863  0 15:37 ?        00:00:26
/usr/java/jdk1.7.0_75//bin/java
-Dlog4j.configuration=container-log4j.properties
-Dyarn.app.container.log.dir=/stock/hbase-test/hbase-1.1.4-src/hbase-server/target/MiniMRCluster_2057692392/MiniMRCluster_2057692392-logDir-nm-0_2/application_1458761812937_0001/container_1458761812937_0001_01_000001
-Dyarn.app.container.log.filesize=0 -Dhadoop.root.logger=INFO,CLA -Xmx1024m
org.apache.hadoop.mapreduce.v2.app.MRAppMaster

JMS

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.
I think I did 'mvn clean install package assembly:single' instead of 'mvn
clean install site assembly:single'. Not important to the RC though.

--
Best regards,

   - Andy

(via Tom White)

Re: [VOTE] First release candidate for HBase 1.1.4 (RC0) is available

Posted by Jean-Marc Spaggiari <je...@spaggiari.org>.

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.
+1

--