Posted to dev@tapestry.apache.org by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com> on 2010/10/12 20:26:35 UTC

[WEB SITE] What is Tapestry?

For the home page, I kind of see the need for a section "What is Tapestry?"

Here's my first pass:

What is Tapestry?

Tapestry is ... agile

   Easy to code, easy to test, easy to deploy. Tapestry encourages you
to work in small increments with immediate feedback so you are
   always making fast, forward progress. Want to code in Groovy or
Scala instead?  No problem!

Tapestry is ... fast

  Tapestry is pure Java. It doesn't use Java reflection, and is built
to cleanly support large numbers of threads. Better yet, it
  automatically includes standard performance-enhancing strategies such
  as GZip content compression, JavaScript aggregation, and far future
expires headers ... all techniques to cut down on the size
  and number of requests.

Tapestry is ... productive

  Code and templates are lean and mean. LIve class reloading means
that the time between seeing an error and providing the fix
  is seconds, not minutes. Advanced exception reporting gives you all
the tools you need to fix your problem: not just
  a stack trace, but every bit of information you need to know about
what Tapestry was doing and why it was doing it.

Tapestry is ... scalable

  Tapestry scales up big on a single server, but also gives you great
options for when you need to switch to a cluster. Tapestry makes
  it easy to store information on the client (as hidden fields or
query parameters) or on the server (in the session).

Tapestry is ... adaptable

 Tapestry's architecture is open and extensible. Don't like how
Tapestry does something? There's a clean way to add your own
 logic, or substitute some of Tapestry's logic with your own. Tapestry
modules make it easy to create components and package them
 for reuse in your current application, or across many applications.

Tapestry is ... global

  Tapestry has built-in support for more than a dozen different
languages, and makes it easy for your application to cleanly
  support multiple localizations. Tapestry automatically tracks the
user's preferred locale and makes it easy to access
  user-localized messages across the entire application.

Tapestry is ... dependable

  Tapestry's roots go back to 2003 as an Apache project, and even
earlier as an open-source projects. Thousands of applications
  run on Tapestry, including high-throughput sites like SeeSaw.com.
Tapestry applications have a history of running glitch-free.

Tapestry is ... fun

  Tapestry removes the tedium of developing web applications, leaving
just the fun parts. Tapestry keeps you "in the zone", having
  fun and coding up a storm!  Tapestry: code less deliver more!

--
Howard M. Lewis Ship

Creator of Apache Tapestry

(971) 678-5210
http://howardlewisship.com

Re: [WEB SITE] What is Tapestry?

Posted by liigo <co...@gmail.com>.
a section of "Tapestry is ..."

What is Tapestry? there is a standard short answer (for newbie).

Re: [WEB SITE] What is Tapestry?

Posted by ael <al...@dash.com.ph>.
How about

Tapestry is one of the best java web framework but not for newbie.

Re: [WEB SITE] What is Tapestry?

Posted by Charith Madusanka <ch...@gmail.com>.
tapestry is the one of the best java web framework in the  world.[?][?][?][?][?]
[?][?][?][?][?]

cheers

charith

Re: [WEB SITE] What is Tapestry?

Posted by Massimo Lusetti <ml...@gmail.com>.
On Sat, Dec 4, 2010 at 1:14 AM, Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> These are good points, and HTML5 compatibility will be important.  I think
> we'll see an @HTML5 annotation for pages that converts them to use HTML5
> output rules ... but there's more than that, such as training the validators
> to write HTML5 attributes for validation (fortunately, that is supported in
> the APIs!).

Yes, HTML5 is the future now. Indeed we can develop HTML5 apps right
now and have support from the vast majority of browsers (don't want to
comment on IE-old-semi-old-versions).

I'm developing a private "financial" application with T5 that is
supporting all the HTML5 features currently supported by FF, CHROME,
SAFARI and IE(8/9) even if the only "official" supported version will
be FF and CHROME.

We are developing a strategy to support @Persist ad a "client storage"
using the new web client storage API from HTML and Tapestry5 needs
just small "fixes" to support us.

Indeed a great plus for us! And Tapestry5 should/would play on this
talent for its own advertisements

Cheers
--
Massimo
http://meridio.blogspot.com

Re: [WEB SITE] What is Tapestry?

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.

On Fri, Dec 3, 2010 at 3:47 PM, Katia Aresti <ka...@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> > > preferred libraries. There are already many integrations for popular
> > > technologies. And even better: You don't like how
> > > Tapestry does something? There's a clean way to add your own
> > >  logic, or substitute some of Tapestry's logic with your own. Tapestry
> > > modules make it easy to create components and package them
> > >  for reuse in your current application, or across many applications.
> > >
> > > Tapestry is ... international
> > >
> > >  Tapestry has built-in support for more than a dozen different
> > > languages, and makes it easy for your application to cleanly
> > >  support multiple localizations. Tapestry automatically tracks the
> > > user's preferred locale and makes it easy to access
> > >  user-localized messages across the entire application.
> > >
> > > Tapestry is ... dependable
> > >
> > >  Tapestry's roots go back to 2003 as an Apache project, and even
> > > earlier as an open-source projects. Thousands of applications
> > >  run on Tapestry, including high-throughput sites like SeeSaw.com.
> > > Tapestry applications have a history of running glitch-free.
> > >
> > > Tapestry is ... fun
> > >
> > >  Tapestry removes the tedium of developing web applications, leaving
> > > just the fun parts. Tapestry keeps you "in the zone", having
> > >  fun and coding up a storm!  Tapestry: code less deliver more!
> > >  clusters a lone developer working on
> > > an application with just a couple of pages,
> > >  all the way up to large teams and applications with hundreds of
> > > pages and custom components. For big teams, Tapestry's
> > >  pages and components design keeps the efforts of different
> > > developers automatically integrated.
> > >

> > > Best Regards
> > >
> > > Sebastian
> > >

> > > I think that 'Tapestry combines
> > >
> > > is hard to understand.

> appear
> way,

> for

> context,
> if
> to make
> niche.

> needs

> encourages
> or

> built
> strategies
> future

> means
> all
> about

> great

> applications.

> the

> SeeSaw.com.

> leaving

> > > --
> > > Best Regards / Viele Grüße
> > >
> > > Sebastian Hennebrueder
> > > -----
> > > Software Developer and Trainer for Hibernate / Java Persistence
> > > http://www.laliluna.de

> > --
> > Howard M. Lewis Ship
> >
> > Creator of Apache Tapestry
> >
> > The source for Tapestry training, mentoring and support. Contact me to
> > learn how I can get you up and productive in Tapestry fast!

Howard M. Lewis Ship

Creator of Apache Tapestry

The source for Tapestry training, mentoring and support. Contact me to learn

Re: [WEB SITE] What is Tapestry?

Posted by Katia Aresti <ka...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

[...]

oriented fw are more suitable for WWW rather than a component oriented fw. I

Re: [WEB SITE] What is Tapestry?

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.

<us...@laliluna.de> wrote:
> [...]
>>>
>>> Tapestry is ... scalable
>>>
>>>  Tapestry works well for everything from a lone developer working on
>>> an application with just a couple of pages,
>>>  all the way up to large teams and applications with hundreds of
>>> pages and custom components. For big teams, Tapestry's
>>>  pages and components design keeps the efforts of different
>>> developers automatically integrated.

>>> --
>>> Howard M. Lewis Ship
>>>
>>> Creator of Apache Tapestry
>>>
>>> The source for Tapestry training, mentoring and support. Contact me to
>>> learn how I can get you up and productive in Tapestry fast!
>>>
>>> (971) 678-5210
>>> http://howardlewisship.com

> Best Regards / Viele Grüße
>
> Sebastian Hennebrueder
> -----
> Software Developer and Trainer for Hibernate / Java Persistence

Howard M. Lewis Ship

Creator of Apache Tapestry

(971) 678-5210
http://howardlewisship.com

Re: [WEB SITE] What is Tapestry?

Posted by Sebastian Hennebrueder <us...@laliluna.de>.
> [...]

>> all the "dirty plumbing" of web application development.
>>
>> Tapestry is ... scalable
>>
>>   Tapestry works well for everything from a lone developer working on
>> an application with just a couple of pages,
>>   all the way up to large teams and applications with hundreds of
>> pages and custom components. For big teams, Tapestry's
>>   pages and components design keeps the efforts of different
>> developers automatically integrated.
>>

>> On Tue, Oct 12, 2010 at 12:16 PM, Christian Gruber
>> <ch...@gmail.com>  wrote:
>>> I'm thinking the basic "a web-UI framework for Java" might be useful for the "stating the obvious" department.
>>>
>>> But some people coming to the site may not actually get that context, if they're journalists or managers looking at platforms.  Probably need to make some sort of really hyper-obvious statement that categorizes its niche.

Best Regards / Viele Grüße

Sebastian Hennebrueder
-----

Re: [WEB SITE] What is Tapestry?

Posted by Christian Gruber <ch...@gmail.com>.

Re: [WEB SITE] What is Tapestry?

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.

<ch...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm thinking the basic "a web-UI framework for Java" might be useful for the "stating the obvious" department.
>
> But some people coming to the site may not actually get that context, if they're journalists or managers looking at platforms.  Probably need to make some sort of really hyper-obvious statement that categorizes its niche.
>
> Christian.
>
> On Oct 12, 2010, at 2:58 PM, Howard Lewis Ship wrote:
>
>> Actually, I'm not happy with the "dependable" section.  That one needs
>> some love.
>>
>> On Tue, Oct 12, 2010 at 11:52 AM, Joachim Van der Auwera
>> <jo...@progs.be> wrote:
>>> Great...

>> --
>> Howard M. Lewis Ship