Posted to dev@ignite.apache.org by Tom Diederich <to...@gridgain.com> on 2017/08/11 17:04:06 UTC

Apache Ignite community update

Igniters,

Here’s the latest news and events you might have missed around the Apache Ignite community. Because this is our first comprehensive update in awhile, let’s take a look at the meetups our experts have spoken at over the past few months…

May 17: Miami Hadoop User Group (Venture Hive hosted). Talk: "Apache Ignite and Apache Spark: This is Where Fast Data Meets the IoT."  <https://www.meetup.com/Miami-Hadoop-User-Group/>with Denis Magda,  Apache® Ignite™ PMC Chair.
June 16: Bay Area In-Memory Computing Meetup. Talk: “Intro to Apache Ignite <https://www.meetup.com/Bay-Area-In-Memory-Computing/events/240401493/>” with Dani Traphagen.
June 20: MySQL User Group NL. (Booking.com <http://booking.com/> hosted) Talk: “Turbocharge your SQL queries in-memory with Apache Ignite <https://www.meetup.com/MySQL-User-Group-NL/events/240545280/>” with Denis Magda.
June 22: Data Science Amsterdam. Talk: “Diving into the internals of Apache Ignite's memory architecture <https://www.meetup.com/Bay-Area-In-Memory-Computing/events/241381155/>” with Akmal Chaudhri.
July 26: Brighton Java Meetup UK. (BrandWatch hosted) Talk: “Introduction to the many components of the open-source Apache Ignite <https://www.meetup.com/Brighton-Java/events/241395191/> with Akmal Chaudhri. Watch his excellent talk here <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPm5Gujlr2c> (via YouTube).
July 27: Bay Area In-Memory Computing Meetup. Talk: "Distributed Memory-Optimized SQL Database+Optimised (hierarchical) Clustering <https://www.meetup.com/Bay-Area-In-Memory-Computing/events/241381155/> with Denis Madga.
Coming-up Meetups

Aug. 22: Bay Area Fintech & InsurTech Meetup. (IBM Cloud will host at Foster City office). Dmitriy Setrakyan and Denis Madga will explain how in-memory computing is critical for financial applications. A customer case study will also be presented. Register here <https://www.eventbrite.com/e/powering-up-banks-and-financial-institutions-with-distributed-systems-tickets-36763559797>.
Sept. 9: Fremont Big Data and Cloud Meetup <https://www.meetup.com/datariders/>. (Fremont, Calif.) Talk: “Apache Spark and Apache Ignite: Where Fast Data Meets the IoT” with Denis Madga. Register here <https://www.meetup.com/datariders/>.
Sept. 13: SF Big Analytics. Talk: “Better Machine Learning with Apache Ignite” with Denis Madga. Register here <https://www.meetup.com/SF-Big-Analytics/events/242368299/>.
More Upcoming Meetups

(Please note: organizers of the following meetups have accepted our talk proposals but are still scheduling the meetups. The dates and venues -- and in some cases the speakers -- are TBD). Stay tuned for the next update in a couple weeks!). Igniters, if any of you would like to present about Apache Ignite at one of the meetups below (or any meetup not listed), please let me know and I’ll help set it up.

Bay Area In-Memory Computing Meetup <https://www.meetup.com/Bay-Area-In-Memory-Computing/> Talk and speakers: TBD. Looking for speakers! Please let me know if you are interested.
NYC In-Memory Computing Meetup <https://www.meetup.com/NYC-In-Memory-Computing-Meetup/> (NEW Meetup!). Talk and speakers: TBD. Looking for speakers!
Paris Spark Meetup <https://www.meetup.com/Paris-Spark-Meetup/>. Talk: “Apache Spark and Apache Ignite: Where Fast Data Meets the IoT” with Akmal Chaudhri
France Fintech <https://www.meetup.com/FranceFintech/> (Paris). Talk: "Powering up banks and financial institutions for FinTech with distributed systems" with Akmal Chaudhri
London Byte Academy Meetup <https://www.meetup.com/Byte-Academy-FinTech-Python-Blockchain-Education/>. (London) Talk: Powering up banks and financial institutions with distributed systems" with Akmal Chaudhri
Hadoop Users Group UK Meetup <https://www.meetup.com/hadoop-users-group-uk/>. (London) Talk: “Giving a boost to the Hadoop and Spark ecosystems with in-memory technologies” with Akmal Chaudhri
Big Data Developers in Paris <https://www.meetup.com/Big-Data-Developers-in-Paris/>. “Giving a boost to the Hadoop and Spark ecosystems with in-memory technologies" with Akmal Chaudhri
Apache Ignite London <mailto:https://www.meetup.com/Apache-Ignite-London/>. Talk and speakers: TBD Looking for speakers & topics!
Do you have an idea for a meetup talk about in-memory computing (or a related topic)? Would you like to present? Need support for creating or participating in a related meetup? I can help! Drop me a line and let’s talk about it.

Recent blog posts from the community:

Aug. 4: Getting Started with Apache® Ignite™ (Part 7): The Machine Learning Grid <https://www.gridgain.com/resources/blog/getting-started-apacher-ignitetm-part-7> (Akmal Chaudhri)

Aug. 3: What you need to know about Apache® Ignite™ 2.0 & 2.1 <https://www.gridgain.com/resources/blog/what-you-need-know-about-apacher-ignitetm-20-21> (Dani Traphagen)

Aug. 2: What's New in Apache Ignite .NET 2.1 <https://dzone.com/articles/whats-new-in-apache-ignitenet-21> (Pavel Tupitsyn)

July 31: Apache® Ignite™ Native Persistence: What about data recovery? Solved! <https://www.gridgain.com/resources/blog/apacher-ignitetm-native-persistence-what-about-data-recovery-solved> (Denis Madga)

July 23: Implementing the Ignite.NET Plugin: Distributed Semaphore <https://dzone.com/articles/implementing-ignitenet-plugin-distributed-semaphor> (Pavel Tupitsyn)

July 20: Video: Distributed ACID Transactions in Apache® Ignite™ <https://www.gridgain.com/resources/blog/video-distributed-acid-transactions-apacher-ignitetm> (Akmal Chaudhri)

July 12: Getting Started with Apache® Ignite™ (Part 6): The Service Grid <https://www.gridgain.com/resources/blog/getting-started-apacher-ignitetm-part-6> (Akmal Chaudhri)

July 9: Apache Ignite with Spring Data <http://frommyworkshop.blogspot.ru/2017/07/apache-ignite-with-spring-data.html> (Shamim Bhuyian)

July 6: Getting Started with Apache® Ignite™ (Part 5): Distributed SQL database <https://www.gridgain.com/resources/blog/getting-started-apacher-ignitetm-part-5> (Akmal Chaudhri)

Do you already have your own in-memory computing-related technical blog?  Add your blog’s RSS feed to IMCPlanet.org <https://www.imcplanet.org/>! Syndicating your blog’s feed here will help you amplify your voice and reach. IMCPlanet.org <http://imcplanet.org/> presents in-memory computing blogs and events from around the world.

In-Memory Computing webinars:

Things usually slowdown in summertime – but not when you’re dealing with in-memory computing webinars <https://www.gridgain.com/resources/webinars>! If you missed them live, you can always watch the video later.  Here’s a look at what’s coming up later this month.

>> Aug. 16: "Big Community" hosts technology evangelist Akmal Chaudhri who will present: "Introduction to Apache Ignite, a memory-centric distributed platform.” More info and to register for this free webinar, click here <https://register.gotowebinar.com/register/2423316315303466241>.

And be sure not to miss…
 <https://www.gridgain.com/resources/webinars/deploy-boss-using-kubernetesr-and-apacher-ignitetm>
Because every webinar is recorded, there is a rich library of past webinars available for playback anytime – with the slides also accessible for download. Here’s a peek at the most recent:

Building Consistent and Highly Available Distributed Systems with Apache® Ignite™ <https://www.gridgain.com/resources/webinars/building-consistent-and-highly-available-distributed-systems-apacher-ignitetm>
Take Telecom to the Next Level with In-Memory Computing <https://www.gridgain.com/resources/webinars/take-telecom-next-level-in-memory-computing>
Distributed ACID Transactions in Apache Ignite <https://www.gridgain.com/resources/webinars/distributed-acid-transactions-apache-ignite>
Financial Regulatory Compliance: Navigating the Ever-Changing Landscape <https://www.gridgain.com/resources/webinars/financial-regulatory-compliance-navigating-ever-changing-landscape>
In-Memory Computing Summits:

The only industry-wide events for in-memory computing users, the In-Memory Computing Summits focus on IMC-related technologies and solutions. The conference is attended by technical decision makers, implementers and developers who make or influence purchasing decisions about in-memory computing, Big Data, Fast Data, IoT and HPC solutions.

The In-Memory Computing Summit Europe 2017 <https://imcsummit.org/eu/> was held in Amsterdam June 20-21 with some 200 attendees from 24 countries gathering to hear keynotes and breakout sessions on a broad range of in-memory computing topics.

Experts from several companies – including, ING, Barclays, Misys, NetApp, Fujitsu and JacTravel – presented topics spanning in-memory computing for financial services, web-scale applications, and the Internet of Things to the state of non-volatile memory technology.

I invite you to explore those great talks on the IMC Summit’s YouTube channel <https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYquivPEF1s-Bna-5fuszwg>. The videos include all of the conference talks, but here is a list of those featuring Apache Ignite:

Apache® Ignite™: A Memory Centric Approach to Durable Distributed Systems <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xU6SQzoql34&t=351s>
Apache® Ignite™ Meets Apache Flink <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOPtEZgCfQA&t=9s>
Distributed ACID Transactions in Apache® Ignite™ <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCBmfs3dRIw&t=7s>
Apache® Ignite™ Service Grid: Foundation of Your Microservices-based Solution <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXqJIMLL7-k&t=2s>
In related news, the third-annual In-Memory Computing Summit North America <https://imcsummit.org/us/> is Oct. 24-25 in South San Francisco. Details here <https://imcsummit.org/us/>. The agenda is being put together now by the conference committee. It should be available by the next issue.

Useful in-memory computing resources:

Stack Overflow <mailto:https://stackoverflow.com/search%3Fq=Apache+Ignite>. Stack Overflow is a question and answer site for professional and enthusiast programmers.
Habrahabr <mailto:https://habrahabr.ru/search/%3Ftarget_type=posts%26q=Apache%2520Ignite%26order_by=date>. Habrahabr (also "Habr") (Russian: Хабрахабр, Хабр) is a Russian collaborative blog with elements of social network about IT, Computer science and anything related to the Internet, owned by Thematic Media.
In-Memory Computing Planet <https://www.imcplanet.org/> (blogs and events) Add you blog feed!
“Meetup in a Box <mailto:tom.diederich@gridgain.com?subject=Meetup%20request>.” If you would like to speak at a meetup, start or support a meetup, or have questions about meetups in general – let me know! I can help get you up and running with everything you’ll need.
The Apache® Ignite™ Forums <https://www.gridgain.com/resources/forums>
More Apace Ignite community resources <applewebdata://25DBEE03-D651-4677-AD33-34FD375611E7/Library/Containers/com.apple.mail/Data/Library/Mail%20Downloads/382BAE57-3C42-45DA-82AB-5F500519B807/Community%20Resources>
Please share other useful resources and I’ll include them in the next issue.

Thanks!
Tom