Posted to dev@hbase.apache.org by Sean Busbey <bu...@cloudera.com> on 2015/02/27 19:06:28 UTC

Minor release cadence for branch-1

Hey folks!

Apologies if I've overlooked this getting discussed already. Do we have a
goal release cadence for minor versions out of branch-1?

My first gut reaction is that it should essentially match the cadence we've
been aiming at for the 0.98 line. That would mean attempting to match
monthly, I think?

The obvious problem with this is that now that we have patch versions, it
means essentially getting a new branch per month for backports. That's
quickly going to get old, even if we presume most additions will move onto
branch-2 in a year or so.

What do folks think about limiting which minor versions patch-level fixes
go into? We could default to the most recent release + current minor dev
and go back farther when requested by the issue filer?

That means in ~3 months we'd expect branch-1 to be working on 1.4 and most
patch-level fixes to go into branch-1.3 and branch-1. If someone reported a
failure and they were on e.g. 1.1.z, we'd also do the fix in branch-1.1 and
branch-1.2.

Or should we just stick with hitting all of the branches on the presumption
that the cherry picks should be trivial?

--
Sean

Re: Minor release cadence for branch-1

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.
Not 6 years :-)

--
Best regards,

   - Andy

(via Tom White)

Re: Minor release cadence for branch-1

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.

--
Best regards,

   - Andy

(via Tom White)

Re: Minor release cadence for branch-1

Posted by Enis Söztutar <en...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sean Busbey <bu...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Enis Söztutar <en...@gmail.com>.
I am planning on sticking to monthly release candidates for the 1.0.x
series of releases. The patches are somewhat controlled, so testing should
not be a huge effort.

However, 1.x series are expected to contain new features, and much more
change (1.1 already contains some big features on top of 1.0). Thus testing
at scale becomes really important before the release. Also my experience is
that:

1. People do not upgrade their HBase that frequently. This is expected,
since it is a database after all, we are not a library.
2. Testing the release candidate is A LOT of work. I would rather have less
number of better tested minor releases.

Monthly minor releases will be too much effort IMO. However, upgrading
patch versions 1.x.y -> 1.x.z should be a relatively "safe" option, so more
frequent patch releases makes sense.

My current understanding is that if a new feature lands in master, there is
no reason to not bring it to 1.x branches other than (1) the feature is not
BC according to semver. (2) the release branch for the next 1.x is not cut
yet (which is a timing issue), (3) the feature is not stable enough for
1.x.

Enis

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.

--