Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Mojca Miklavec <mo...@gmail.com> on 2014/06/12 19:03:04 UTC

Suitable licence for hyphenation patterns

Dear OpenOffice developers,

I'm one of maintainers of a collection of more than 70 hyphenation
patterns [1, 2, 3]. (Patterns were not written by me, they have been
contributed by more than 70 authors worldwide, we are merely
collecting them.)

We are currently discussing trying to change the licence of
hyphenation patterns from GPL/LPPL/<many other licences, sometimes
none>... to a more liberal one, like CC-0 (or maybe CC-BY) to allow
other projects like Mozilla Firefox, OpenOffice and others to use our
patterns without having to chase individual authors of hyphenation
patterns.

We would like to solve the licencing problem "once and for all", so
that almost any project could simply take the patterns and use them,
without having to get special permissions from individual authors to
do so. We plan to contact all authors (except when they are not
reachable) and ask them for permission.

I'm aware that all the authors of patterns had to sign some legal
contracts in the past to allow their contribution in the project (but
OpenOffice probably doesn't include all of our patterns and might
contain "outdated" patterns for some languages).

My question for the OpenOffice team is: what exactly do we need to do
to make sure that the hyphenation patterns would be "acceptable as
they are" for OOo from the legal point of view? So that if anyone from
the OOo developers would decide to fetch the latest version of the
patterns from hyph-utf8 one day, there wouldn't be any legal
constraints?

Thank you very much,
    Mojca

[1] http://tug.org/tex-hyphen/#languages
[2] http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/language/hyph-utf8
[3] http://tug.org/svn/texhyphen/trunk/hyph-utf8/tex/generic/hyph-utf8/patterns/tex/

Re: Suitable licence for hyphenation patterns

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
On 12/06/2014 Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> My question for the OpenOffice team is: what exactly do we need to do
> to make sure that the hyphenation patterns would be "acceptable as
> they are" for OOo from the legal point of view? So that if anyone from
> the OOo developers would decide to fetch the latest version of the
> patterns from hyph-utf8 one day, there wouldn't be any legal
> constraints?

I'm basically re-posting the answer you got from Kay, in case you didn't
see it since you are not subscribed.

The Apache License 2 is an ideal solution from the OpenOffice
standpoint. See what you think.
http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0.html

We are aware of projects re-using our Apache License 2 code and
distributing their releases under the MPL or LGPL, so if you are looking
for a "liberal" option that is free, open source and that will work for
OpenOffice as well as other projects, Apache License 2 surely fits the bill.

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: Suitable licence for hyphenation patterns

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.